early two-seater? Tottenville, Staten Island

SIRAACA_Editor

33 minutes ago, SIRAACA_Editor said:

Hello all - this photo, depicting George and Bertha Kiefer of Hopping avenue in Tottenville on Staten Island, was reportedly taken in 1914.  The car appears older than that date.  Any ideas on what it is?  Courtesy of Greg Rossel, via classicstatenisland Instagram page.

Thank you,

Paul

Screen Shot 2022-02-12 at 11.45.29 AM.png

Perhaps about a 1904 Franklin....

I though possibly Franklin as well, springs are correct, but you can't see the front axle to tell for sure. Hood area is modified from what factory used if indeed it is a Franklin.

Round gas tank at the back isn't factory either. I spent some time one evening some years ago riding around with Bill Harrah in his 1904 cross engine Franklin in central NY in August , you can't see diddly squat with the gas lights lit , can get more light from a small flashlight with a low battery . 

Hello Walt and keiser31 - I see many similarities to the 1904 Franklin, and I know it's never possible to determine what a car owner changed over time.  What's throwing me with this particular car are the full fenders and "running board", which I'm not seeing on other '04 Franklins.  But as a potentially 10 year old car, any manner of "customizing" is possible.  Thanks for the replies.

• Like 1