1969 Ford XL convertible Buckets/Console $3500 NOT MINE

For Sale 1969 Ford XL Convertible - cars & trucks - by owner -... (craigslist.org)

1969 Ford XL Convertible 390 ci, air, PS, PB, runs and drives good, buckets, console, dual antenna, dual exhaust straight body. Original gold with black strip in center of hood. Needs top and interior, you can drive as is or restore it. Very little rust. I have new gas tank, sending unit and seal for it. Old gas tank has lots of rust in it, so just to be safe I have new tank. $3500 Firm

00Y0Y_3ORA255ds1qz_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

01414_3JVkuTiqWfyz_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

I am a fan of the unusual.  You won't find me buying a Camaro or Mustang.  I always thought these were cool.  Almost to the fuselage era for full sizers (1970 on), this one has cool touches like the hideaway headlights and bucket seats / console is a game changer.  With a bench seat in there and a 289, I am checked out. 

But you can massage a 390 with aftermarket goodies and still look pretty stock, add the Magnum 500 wheels for sure and it would be a nice unique ride.    I am almost 100% out of consideration for projects, I was into projects 10-14 years ago, not now.  

I bought a 1970 Buick Wildcat 2 door hardtop with buckets and console out of Billings, Montana so I am not scared of the remote location.  

I know nothing about 69 Ford XL convertibles but cars like this just look like total disasters to me. The seller's price is firm which means he's got $3500 invested in this mess and he wants every cent back. He realizes he's made a big mistake and now he wants someone to bail him out. The car has 130K miles on it and it needs everything done to it, like every tiny little detail and every square inch of it needs restored. How much money is someone willing to spend on a rough vehicle like this? Why would you even start on it and what would be the return on your investment? What kind of a  market is there for these? I would definitely RUN AWAY from this Ford even though it might be the only one out there with Chevy Caprice wire hubcaps on it. 

• Like 2

That’s a bit brutal. $3500 is the new $1,000.  It’s a straight, solid project car.  Why buy it? To restore for those who enjoy the restoration process.  These are well supported by catalogs.  A person doing this car is going to buy a set of 4 - 15x7 Magnum wheels. This likely is a disc brake car.  

As mentioned in my original post, there are a lot of styling and options features which make this car appealing. Or a Chrysler 300 convertible with buckets and console.  

Drivetrain being a 390 with C6 transmission is a reliable torque monster.  It’s a convertible for starters. Yes he is likely bailing on it not wanting to start dropping serious cash, but that’s a tale we hear all the time on a variety of cars.  

Negotiate this to $2500 and enjoy a fun restoration