Oil Choice for 1951 Chevy 3100 216 CID

Jasper4247

I am changing oil for the first time in a 1951 Chevy 3100 that I purchased. The 1951 manual for the 216 cid engine recommends a 0-20W engine oil.

I am assuming that I need a high zinc content oil for this engine. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Note: the engine is not equipped with an oil filter, if that makes any difference.

It probably says 20W not 0-20W right? 0-20W would be fine in that engine.

Back in the day 20W would have been the standard recommendation for that engine, or 20W20 and a little later 10W30 after multi-viscosity oils became standard. Cold flow matters a lot in this engine. The main thing is you don't want anything thick. I'm thinking 0W20 would be great because it might flow better cold than the others.

Zinc is not much of a concern because it wasn't being used yet in 1937 when that engine hit the market. It probably wasn't even in use yet in 1951. It shouldn't hurt anything if you want to use it, but it's not a requirement. Later engine designs with much higher valve spring pressure brought about the use of zinc.

You are right Bloo. The manual does read 20W unless the ambient temperature is expected to be consistently above 90 degrees - then it recommends 30W.

The truck will not be driven when the temp is that high - not really enjoyable - and it is not driven in the winter.

I will go with the 0W20. Thank you very much for your input.

Depending upon how much wear the 216 has endured,

Rotella 15W-50 could be a decent alternative,

Flowing cold as a 15 weight, but with the supposed hot protection of a 50 weight.

I've used it in my early cars, even 'though they might not need the zinc

Edited by Marty Roth (see edit history)