marvel carb setup - part 2

tcslr

Am looking for input and guidance on this data.  On the Marvel Calibration sheet, it lists dimensions for the three (3) jets.  Therein lies my question:

the high-speed ( tallest) jet has two (2) heights: 2.9877"/2.0189".  medium ( marvel calls this intermediate High speed) is 2.177"/2.209"and low speed is 3/8". ( the 10-796 model)

Why the two numbers on high and medium?  in the case for medium - it almost seems like the +/- variation in height.  But the high speed is almost a full inch off.

Initially I wondered if this related to inboard/outboard heights in a geometric attempt to 'balance the very long intake - but that made no sense.  

OR is that a printing error and it should be 3.0189" rather than 2.0189"? 

The 10-1503 model is another weird situation, the medium speed is 1.1985"/2.015" 

SO... for my 10-796..... what do I use?

Attached is some info, maybe it can help.

Note the high altitude specs are for elevations of 3000ft and greater.

I have to admit, I think Carbking is right, this Marvel-ous journey I am on regarding the Marvel carb design and returning my 1932 Buick to original running condition is turning into an endless bunny trail...pretty soon I am going to find Alice and the white rabbit.

I will keep looking in my archives to try to find info on the 10-796 carb, this number seems familiar, I am now personally a little curious.

It would be swell to meet a Marvel engineer, or someone who has some detailed history of the Marvel saga - every time I refer to Marvel, my kids think I am talking about a movie superhero.

Mr. Roberts, can you please post a pic of your car?

We don't care of its condition, old, new, in process, all is good.

Its always nice to see the subject of our efforts, many of us enjoy the pics on this forum.

Ciao,

Mario

Marvel carb 10-1503 jets.jpg

marvel carbureation service specs.jpg

Marvel jets info.jpg

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, dibarlaw said:

Here are a few photos I took of Tom's car when the previous owner first had acquired it. I understand it is much nicer now.

DSCF2726.JPG.5eeec02fc7d60f5ff86c646986a8907d.JPG

299612298_image1.jpg.5a58c98bbc72e458edc9e48b341b90a0.jpg

Before he had Reeve's Enterprizes rebuild the engine.

DSCF2727.JPG.9bd8b218ba04442e63a2a85ced84e75b.JPGDSCF2725.JPG.191c47f8b2904f483ca470a6b982ced6.JPG

DSCF2728.JPG.5d0b469405cae4b02dbd7e3bb858053b.JPG

Wow, that is sharp!

Did the carb really leak so much that the plastic container was needed while sitting idle and during driving?

Yikes

9 hours ago, 32buick67 said:

It would be swell to meet a Marvel engineer, or someone who has some detailed history of the Marvel

I suggest you get in contact with Dean Tryon.  Dean has been running tests on Marvel carbs that have revealed some interesting performance data related to jet sizing with modern gasolines.

15 minutes ago, Mark Shaw said:

I suggest you get in contact with Dean Tryon.  Dean has been running tests on Marvel carbs that have revealed some interesting performance data related to jet sizing with modern gasolines.

Thanks Mark, funny you mention it, we just spoke yesterday.

His quarterly newsletters are impressive!

• Like 1