54 Lincoln Capri ac system

B-ster

First post on here. I just bought a 54 Lincoln Capri with ac for my wife. The system seems to be complete including the plastic tubes from the trunk. 

My question is, is this a rarity? I would like to keep it and get it working for the originality of the car, but my wife wants to go with vintage air and get rid of the big box in the trunk and the tubes.

Would like to know if they are difficult to get parts for and if they can get converted to r-134.

I am in AZ and the car is a lifetime AZ car. It's been parked under a hay barn since 65. 98% complete.

Thanks

I agree, it's most likely an early aftermarket system, but may have been approved by Ford for installation.  Your car doesn't have the factory controls which would be mounted below the radio, below the dash.  Do you know where the controls are?  They may be on the package shelf.  Post photos of the trunk unit when you have time.

That does look like the control switch, but not the factory style.  It appears that the knobs are pull out blower speed switches giving three blower speeds to each of the right and left blowers on the trunk unit.  The toggle switch would cut the compressor on and off.  Not temperature control.  You could turn the heat on to control temperature.  The factory control should look like this even though this one is 1956.  Still, a working, original period a/c system may add more value to the car than a modern unit.  It would look right.

See the source image

• Like 1

I'm gonna post pics of the trunk unit and other questionable items I find today. Must've removed 20 pounds of history from the floors yesterday in the form of mesquite seeds, mouse droppings, pieces of cactus. My service manual just arrived yesterday too, so hopefully it will help me figure out how to disassemble the front seats so I can get them out. Then I'll remove carpet and headliner. Really excited to see if the floors are as solid as I think they are. Any advice on prepping the floor? I was just going to wire brush with drill to all metal, then use some solution my friend told me about that kills all rust in tiny scratches left by brush, then I was going to spray Rust-Oleum before putting down sound deadening on floor and roof 

Yeah 10-4. Got one coming from Amazon. Having a hell of a time getting the handles from the inside of doors. Some weird clip almost impossible to get off. Plus I have power window controls I have to figure out how to remove them. So many issues. Removing the front power seat

Yes. Any chain parts store should have it. Seen the tool at Harbor Freight and Northern Tool too. HF also has plastic trim removal tools that will help pulling door panels off without damage.

Had Lincoln switched to full-elecrric power windows and seat by then or were they still using hydro-electric systems?