English sports fire engine in Portugal??

Vintman

Hi Folks, Another weird one we would appreciate your thoughts on. This one is from an enquirer in Portugal who thinks it was "probably a Fire Engine Vehicle, the front looks mid 30s american but has an English Austin badge". We have mocked up what it might have looked like with the bonnet but none of our experts have been able to identify it. Austin badge and poss Austin headlamps which come out of the side of the bonnet rather than below or on mudguard. Possibly Lucas Horn. Not like any Austin we know? Rather a sporty shape for a fire wagon?

Any suggestions welcome please.

Regards

Vintman (UK)

www.svvs.org

suggested-Austin-fire-engine.jpg

After WW2 there was an acute shortage of new cars in UK as most new cars were exported. It was common to see prewar cars being rebuilt as specials in the late 40's and into the 50's. I would suspect this is the case with this car and even later it was further modified.

Many thanks to Studeq17, Leif and Viv for their thoughts. We have not been able to identify the vehicle and while there are pointers to an Austin there equally is much against it. My impression is that the car could be smaller than it at first appears, and if so it could even be an Austin Seven (special). The radiator/nose cone may have become flattened down by stuff falling on it. The bonnet seems too long and pointy for a big car without it being an impressive car.  Instruments also seem of an Austin type. If Austin then would need to be from the period where the nosecone was painted body colour rather than chrome, and from the period when the grille tapered downwards (cca 1936 +). An Austin Seven however would not make a good fire engine? The additional grille below the radiator appears like a BMC Mini “Austin Seven” grille, but my recollection of owning one in 1961 is that it was more rectangular and not pointed in the lower corners. I remember I took the grille out of the frame and replaced it with a transparent perspex sheet so that the polished engine could be seen from outside. All the cooling came from the sideways radiator anyway, Guess we will need more info from the enquirer before we can go further.

Regards

Vintman (UK)

www.svvs.org

• Like 1