Is this the future of towing?

On 2/1/2022 at 7:08 PM, Avanti Bill said:

Not likely, though they would like you to think it is.

That's what I'm thinking, but before I shell out the dough on a new pickup, I'm going to let the dust settle to see which direction everything is going to go.  I spent a lot of the money I had set aside for a new truck to get a new car trailer.  I ordered the trailer last July, it was supposed to be delivered this August, as of two weeks ago it got pushed out to September, so I'm hoping to have it in time for Hershey this year.

Edited by ex98thdrill (see edit history)

There are no EV's planned that I know of that could tow my trailer 250 miles let alone 2500.  I try to make 700-900 miles per day going to an event, I have to stop about every 250 miles to fuel my 2019 Ram diesel which is normally a 20-30 minuit pit stop.  In the last year I have seen several travel plaza's on the toll roads installing charging equipment, which is good, but we are years away from routine travel more than 150 miles from home for EVs.  It is one thing for around town but our country is too large and too much of it is too remote for EVs to replace gas or diesel.

Edited by Avanti Bill (see edit history)
  • Like 2

At this point in time range, recharge time, charging infrastructure and cost are the challenges facing Electric Vehicles. In the next few years it will be interesting to see how Tesla's Semi measures up to those challenges using current battery technology. That also might be why the Tesla Semi has been delayed more than once. Several companies are working on Solid State Batteries which are said to measurably improve upon range while drastically cutting recharge time down. If that is actually the case, then we may see this technology in cars, SUVs and even pickups in the next few years (ie 2-3 or so). Time will tell how this plays out.

Interesting to note that here in Eastern Pennsylvania Wawa Convenience stores are adding Tesla charges to their locations including one near my house. I highly doubt that Wawa would not be spending the money on these charging stations if they did not expect to make money from doing so.

On 2/7/2022 at 12:49 PM, charlier said:

At this point in time range, recharge time, charging infrastructure and cost are the challenges facing Electric Vehicles. In the next few years it will be interesting to see how Tesla's Semi measures up to those challenges using current battery technology. That also might be why the Tesla Semi has been delayed more than once. Several companies are working on Solid State Batteries which are said to measurably improve upon range while drastically cutting recharge time down. If that is actually the case, then we may see this technology in cars, SUVs and even pickups in the next few years (ie 2-3 or so). Time will tell how this plays out.

Interesting to note that here in Eastern Pennsylvania Wawa Convenience stores are adding Tesla charges to their locations including one near my house. I highly doubt that Wawa would not be spending the money on these charging stations if they did not expect to make money from doing so.

I'll bet Wawa is not putting out any money.  My guess is that since they are Tesla only stations that Tesla is footing the bill.  I understand they are way behind their commitment to build charging infrastructure.