FR 12 FRGC PENNZOIL PRODUCT

Turbinator

I read an article in a newspaper ( could be old news, but need to me)

regarding conversion to a better refrigeration gas than R12. Better in ways than R12 because FR12 is obtainable. Here’s what I have:

“There is now a direct replacement for R-12 on the market from Houston-based Pennzoil, called FR-12 and carrying the brand name FRIGC (pronounced frij-ik).Converting to FR-12 is a simple and relatively inexpensive process compared with the complicated conversions to the new R-134a refrigerant now used in all new cars.”

Anyone up to speed?

Turbinator

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, I’ve done some reading regarding “ drop in” replacement for R12 in my 63 Riviera. For the DYI guy many options are available. Other than replacing a leaky AC with Other than the original R12 you are taking some risk. Taking risk is not bad or good, but a smart person would know how to calculate risk and consequences. The next consideration is can you recharge the drop gas yourself?  The following quote I found sums it for me.

“Anyway, It all comes down to what you're comfortable with, but anyone that claims their product is a "Drop-In" replacement for R12 is probably BSing you to some extent. Can they be used ? yes. Just be prepared to take the proper steps for conversion and be prepared to evac the whole system etc if you've developed a leak. “

For me 134A was not an option. Generally, accepted anecdotal evidence maintained 134A does not cool as well as  R12. I have found R12 on Craigslist for as little as $10. A pound. Be prepared to shop and have cash ready.

On 2/21/2022 at 6:16 AM, Turbinator said:

Ok, I’ve done some reading regarding “ drop in” replacement for R12 in my 63 Riviera. For the DYI guy many options are available. Other than replacing a leaky AC with Other than the original R12 you are taking some risk. Taking risk is not bad or good, but a smart person would know how to calculate risk and consequences. The next consideration is can you recharge the drop gas yourself?  The following quote I found sums it for me.

“Anyway, It all comes down to what you're comfortable with, but anyone that claims their product is a "Drop-In" replacement for R12 is probably BSing you to some extent. Can they be used ? yes. Just be prepared to take the proper steps for conversion and be prepared to evac the whole system etc if you've developed a leak. “

For me 134A was not an option. Generally, accepted anecdotal evidence maintained 134A does not cool as well as  R12. I have found R12 on Craigslist for as little as $10. A pound. Be prepared to shop and have cash ready.

Bob, for about twenty six years I used Freeze 12 as a replacement for R12 in both all my own cars and my customer's cars. I used the original oil in the system and the original hoses, just

used Freeze 12 to charge the system with no other changes and never once had any issues and the cooling was just as good, and I would mix the R12 with the Freeze 12 although all the so called experts said you couldn't do that. Unfortunately for some reason they quit making Freeze 12 and you can't

buy it any more. As a matter of fact, my 79 Trans Am that will freeze you out of the car has been running a mixture of half R12 and half Freeze 12 for 22 years with no need to charge the system or mess with

the system in any way.

Edited by Seafoam65 (see edit history)