Chevrolet Corsica - When was this gem built?

Steve Hagy

First, I know nothing about these cars, but according to the internet, there were only two models. Base model and LT model. You could tell the difference by the color of the exterior door handles. Base model had silver handles, LT had black handles. The only other main difference was the engine size and transmission. Built between 1987 and 1994.

Looks like Schaumburg splurged and bought the LT...

Frank

Edited by oldford (see edit history)
  • Like 1

The Corsica was the L-body platform built from 1987-1996. It was based on a growth version of the J-car and similar to the N-body platform used by Buick, Olds, and Pontiac during the same timeframe. A darling of fleet and rental car operators. The 2dr version was the Beretta.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Boxy interior, flat tail light lenses, door mounted seat belt...

Thatd be a 1989 Chevy Corsica by my best guess.

I know initially (released in 87 as an 88, so there are sort of 2 years of 88s) they had B pillar mounted seat belts (as seen in naked gun) and in 1990 they went back to the B pillar mounted seat belts but I can't remember if it was just 89 or the late run of 88s too. But as a Corsica enthusiast (...stop laughing...), with what I remember of the old Corsica club forum's spotting guide (i said stop laughing!), Im putting my dollar on it being an 89.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Steve Hagy said:

I'm not laughing.  Thrilled that a zombie was able to provide useful information on one of my mystery vehicles.  Appreciate the reply.

Wait! I may have lied!

I was looking at it closer, and perusing various Corsica images, and I may have been a bit hasty (and a bit rusty....its the dang grave worms, man. They get everywhelephant)..... 

The dash appears boxy, but could be the long round shaded 'newer' style, its hard to say at this angle. Either way, It changed in 1991. The front fender engine badge looks like it starts with a 3, thus the 3.1L v6, but the second number doesn't look like a 1.... The 3.1L was introduced in 90 and also seems to have had door belts, according to Wikipedia stating in 91 they moved to the B pillar. They were also moved back to the door in 94. In 95 they redesigned the side molding, ergo its definitely pre 95. And every Corsica since 91 had louvered tail lights.... 

So, door belts, a 3 in the fender engine badge, thick side molding, and flat tail lights.....its either a 1990 with the boxy dash, or a 1994 with the rounded dash, and someone swapped out the tail lights for the flat lenses. Tail light assembly swaps were somewhat common on the message boards. There was a solid divide between the louver lovers and those flat lens coveting  heathens.... 

I have found images of both allegedly 90s and allegedly 94s (the internet is awash with incorrect year declarations for Corsicas) having the chrome strip on the bottom of the side molding...So...

Ya know, it still looks like a square dash to me, the rounded version stuck out quite a ways over the gauge cluster....Im going to go with 1990. Final answer. 😁👍

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, zombieregime said:

Wait! I may have lied!

I was looking at it closer, and perusing various Corsica images, and I may have been a bit hasty (and a bit rusty....its the dang grave worms, man. They get everywhelephant)..... 

The dash appears boxy, but could be the long round shaded 'newer' style, its hard to say at this angle. Either way, It changed in 1991. The front fender engine badge looks like it starts with a 3, thus the 3.1L v6, but the second number doesn't look like a 1.... The 3.1L was introduced in 90 and also seems to have had door belts, according to Wikipedia stating in 91 they moved to the B pillar. They were also moved back to the door in 94. In 95 they redesigned the side molding, ergo its definitely pre 95. And every Corsica since 91 had louvered tail lights.... 

So, door belts, a 3 in the fender engine badge, thick side molding, and flat tail lights.....its either a 1990 with the boxy dash, or a 1994 with the rounded dash, and someone swapped out the tail lights for the flat lenses. Tail light assembly swaps were somewhat common on the message boards. There was a solid divide between the louver lovers and those flat lens coveting  heathens.... 

I have found images of both allegedly 90s and allegedly 94s (the internet is awash with incorrect year declarations for Corsicas) having the chrome strip on the bottom of the side molding...So...

Ya know, it still looks like a square dash to me, the rounded version stuck out quite a ways over the gauge cluster....Im going to go with 1990. Final answer. 😁👍

I did what I could to enlarge the dash and the badge.  Using a magnifying class I believe the badge reads "3.1 V-8 F1".  You can change your decision again.  I don't mind...

Corsica001.jpg

Corsica002.jpg

• Haha 1

Yeah.... It almost looks curved under that sticker shadow, but the rounded interior would just run smoothly across, this one definitely looks like there is a corner in front of the passenger B pillar. 

And definitely the 3.1L badge. They read [engine displacement: 2.0, 2.2, 2.8, 3.1] then in two lines in smaller text 'multi port' then the big F and I for fuel injection (see below). 

Even that chrome strip is an indicator for given years, I just can't remember which. They would either paint the handles, chrome them, or leave them black, paint the handle guards or leave black, same with the window trim and side view mirrors for a given year. And effectively randomly switch em up year to year. So if you knew the combinations, all it takes is a glance to know which year LoL 🤣 other than the interior,  the tail light lenses, and door belts, the body never changed, so the only way spot a given year was the trim options. For instance I had a 1992, grey with red interior, black molding black handles, black mirrors. My buddy had a 93 white with red interior, black handels, white handle guards and mirrors. 

Im going to stick with 1990. Its gotta be, supposing all the bits are accurate to the year. 

Fun fact: the Corsica was the first US car to offer day time running lights as standard, am/fm cassette standard, i think airbags standard, and all wheel ABS standard on the base model (iirc). And the 2 door version (the Beretta) was actually 3 inches longer than the sedan due to its more sporty camero style pointed front bumper. 

..... [Sigh] I miss my car ..... Gooooood times .....

s-l1600.webp

Edited by zombieregime (see edit history)
  • Like 1