Electric Cars

Guest Hal Davis (MODEL A HAL)

Guest Hal Davis (MODEL A HAL)

Does anyone remember the electric cars that came out in the mid '70's? I was just a kid, but I remember seeing a few of these things. They were rather boxy and had a sloping front end. Looked like a wedge coming down the street. It seems like they may have only been two seaters. My sister's neighbor had one at the time. It seems like my brother-in-law said that it would only do about 30 mph and a range of maybe 30 miles, but I'm just going from memory.

If anyone knows anything about these, tell us about them. Any photos? Are there any left? They would probably qualify for AACA shows by now. If not, then real soon.

I saw one of these cars at the Fall Carlisle meet this past year for sale jammed in some guys space. I think it was one of the Citicars shown in the attachment. I think the asking price was around $4,600. I would say it was a 3-/4+ condition. Back in the mid 70's the guy that ran the 7-11 up the street had one. He would leave it plugged in all day while he worked.

When I was a kid these were pretty common in suburban Monroeville (Pittsburgh). <span style="font-style: italic">A&L Motors</span>, the local British Leyland and Datsun dealer, had a franchise and sold several around town.

citi1.jpg

Bruce's British link for this car has some incorrect information in it. Here's one of several sites that cover this vehicle.

There are a couple of Citicars around my area, they could probably be obtained fairly reasonably but would need a good deal of work plus over $1,000.00 in new deep cycle batteries.

There is however a 1961 Renault Dauphine that was converted to electric when new sitting in my carriage barn for the winter. A fascinating and well engineered conversion using a 1920's Baker electric vehicle motor{variable field weakening control with nichrome resistor banks} on a 96Volt system bolted up to the Renault bellhousing and transaxle with an on board charger. I get about 45-50 miles between charges {hilly area} and 45mph tops. It was built for the famed violinist Jascha Heifetz who used it for quite a while according to the registrations I have. I use it for jaunts and errands around town.