kingpin yoke mis-aligned

4Hud

Installing new kingpins and bushings in our 1929 Chrysler model 75. First side went very smooth but the other side when looking at it from the end view has the top bore out of alignment. Not ideal, but is it a bad idea to heat up the yoke and apply pressure to straighten it out so that the pin goes straight through. The old kingpin was slightly bent. The yoke is chrome-nickel construction.     Thanks.    Bob

IMG_1848.JPG

IMG_1850.PNG

I don't know about bent if it is bent, the straightening of it , but both bushings are usually reamed in with a long reamer that reams both bushings so they align exactly with each other. If bent very much the reamer won't work out so well, more drastic straightening is required, but ream them in after straightening.  JIm43

• Like 4

I believe it  was  common practice  to heat/bend early straight axles "Back in the Day".   I think it is still done today by semi truck shops.  They might  also use large Hydraulic cylinders and chains to bend the axle. I would think these shops  have the experience to do the task. They also have the equipment to measure the front end specs when finished.  Just a thought.

• Like 1

Bob,

I suggest you first try cold bending it.  You will need some big adjustable wrenches with cheaters to get enough leverage.  Go slow and put the old pin into it to test as you go.  If that doesn't work, get out the rosebud and heat it until it moves.  You will still need those wrenches and a couple of strong helpers.

Good luck,

• Like 1