Do I really need a new project?

Thank you Digger for  your ongoing interest and support.  I do take the precaution of giving the gearbox a thorough cleaning before I start work on it.  As I had only just put fresh oil into it  the interior was already clean and as the car had only done one drive there was virtually no road grime on the outside. Despite it's short period of use I will not be putting the oil back into it.  Fortunately I had bought a 5 litre pack of oil so at least I will not have to go and buy more oil.

I will take the precaution of "lapping" the rebuilt cone in too. This probably something I should have done previously.

Bj.

Edited by Rapier (see edit history)

Now I have finally admitted defeat, I have taken the gearbox apart again and left the top gear cone etc for the cone to be relined.   Fortunately my friends at "Historic & Vintage"  had a new lining for the cone and can machine it to suit. Hopefully once this is  done and the "box" reassembled and back in the car it will be an end to the slipping in top gear and we can enjoy driving the car again.  Hopefully we will be able to start planing for a 2023/4 visit to the UK and France. 

Meanwhile I have put the Alvis back "on the market".   Perhaps this time I will learn that I really am too old to be starting another total restoration. 

Having gone all these years without ever owing an Alvis, I cannot help thinking that maybe it really is too late to start learning "New tricks".

Bj.

Today I finally decided to take a positive step with the Lagonda Gearbox, I have taken the two sections of the top gear (cone clutch) to my friends at "Historic & Vintage" they have in stock a new friction lining and the necessary (correct) rivets so I have asked them to attach the lining and machine it to match the (male) cone. Hopefully once the gearbox is re-assembled this will be the end of the (slipping) problem and we can get back to enjoying driving the Lagonda Rapier again.

Bj.

• Like 1

When you consider all the impossible things that people have done when they didn't know that what they were doing wasn't possible, you need to consider that with sufficient resources, ingenuity and determination, that everything imaginable is possible.  

With the tools you had to work with, what you did with the cone was impressive. Never really know what you can accomplish and my guess is that the people who built your gearbox might have have had an optical comparator to check the fitment and still had a disappointment or two before they got the results they wanted.

Pride in workmanship is great when you successfully make your own and no shame in using a factory made part when it's available.

What I think remarkable is that rather than wait for the new cone lining to come from England, Usually about two weeks, IF everything goes well, my friends at "Historic & Vintage actually had a new cone "in stock".

Having spoken with them this morning, they tell me that "it should be ready later today". That and I can pay for the job in cash out of my pocket rather than be messing about with "foreign currency exchange".  That I could discuss the job, face to face with the man doing the work, is just an added bonus.

Add to that, he had done the same job a number of times before annd knew exactly what was required and could do the necessary work without lengthy discussion. What makes me even more happy is, that the Lagonda Rapier will not be in my garage,  sitting on four "jack-stands" unable to be moved for some unknownlength of time!

Bernie j.

• Like 2

Meanwhile the "dreaded" 1923/4 Alvis is patiently waiting. or is it going to sit in the carport waiting until I have finished putting the gearbox back into the Rapier so I can make a start on it.  My own feeling is that I would sooner see it trundle off with a new more appreciative owner, than waiting until I have another burst of enthusiasm and start working on it. As I understand it, mechanically it needs very little to have the motor working, then it needs a complete new two-seater body. However within my heart of hearts, I know that if it is sold it will only be a matter of time before something else takes its place.  I have a good mental picture of what the body should be. Not all that different to the bodies I have created in the past.  I keep telling myself that as I approach my 86th birthday I do not need any of this. Then another voice says, be happy with what you have, First put the Rapier back together and then just order the steel (tube) and get on with building the Amilcar's body frame. From there it will be a simple matter to wrap it up in some aluminium sheet. Looking at my "study" walls, there are photographs of a number of examples.

Perhaps  something based on the "Dixie Flyer" but with a door on the passenger side? Nothing could be simpler, with no "compound curves".  Mudguards (fenders) would have to be "bought in". but that can be left until last

"or is it going to sit in the carport waiting until I have finished putting the gearbox back into the Rapier so I can make a start on it?" 

I can now answer my own question.   I should finish the Rapier's gearbox annd have it back in the car this weekend. Having done that, I have now been convinced that I MUST start work on a new body for the Alvis. Rather than either a Duck's back or a Beatle back I will construct a "staggered" two seater body similar to the one that I built on a Singer chassis some years ago.  The attached photographs show exactly the style of body I have in mind. Once again the lack of "compound curves" means that it should come well within the scope of my capabilities. i.e. No "English wheel" required.  Sadly I have lost track of this little Singer, it went off back to England some (many) years ago!  

No doubt it is a part of an "important  collection" these days.

Bj.

947786914_Singerearly(2WB)JuniorSpecial5.jpeg.e1d55fb6213205aaf060f13e8a7f20c9.jpeg1915546947_Singerearly(2WB)JuniorSpecial9.jpeg.7601e75a9536daf1c9ca66d48e8b73aa.jpeg

• 2 months later...

It is quite some time since I made my last contribution here, despite a couple of false starts, the situation has not changed. The Lagonda Rapier seems to have settled in its semi secure place in the garage and  I can see no early end to this arrangement. It is not that I am not looking, it is perhaps that I have become more selective. This was illustrated by the record short stay of the 1923 Alvis. While this may have had some potential, it turned out to be not what I am looking for. Just what it is that I am looking for I cannot say, which makes it all that more frustrating.

Bj.

On thinking about the above, what I am looking for is an early 1930's or earlier, "oily rag" car, preferably not a sedan, in fact certainly not a sedan! Under 2 Litre engine capacity and almost certainly a 4 speed gearbox. A bare chassis is a possibility depending on what it is. English is my first preference, then either French or Italian. As an odd-ball suggestion a two cylinder, two-stroke DKW.  Having said that almost in jest, if such an "animal" still exists it could be very interesting.

Bj.

DKW? How many of you have even heard of a DKW? 

Prewar they were part of the German "Auto Union" group of motor manufacturers. Post war they continued on with the "Two-stroke" design but added a cylinder just to make things even more "odd". 

That is a THREE cylinder TWO stroke engine.  Certainly something very different!.   I can remember there being three or four in our neighbourhood when I was a school boy.

WOW! that was a very long time ago!

Bj.

Now back to reality, I have just agreed to buy a Vintage (pre 1930) Morris it is a replica of a 1922 Raworth Special. There were originally just SIX of these cars built. None of the originals remain. These were purpose built to take part in the "Lands End Trial".

I will know a whole lot more once I have the car at home and have done some more research. On thing I do know is that I will have to find a pair of those "Marine" cowl vents.

image.jpeg.888aa5a2e0ccf3783482403dc57cefb9.jpeg

Bj.

• Like 1

Surprise! This Morris Cowley is about to become my "Next Project", It still requires a engine rebuild, seats and interior trim. Maybe even a hood (top). Finally a colour change on the wheels, from Red to my favourite "dark" Forest-green.

First thing is to get it home and to do a full appraisal.

It is some time since I last owned a Morris Cowley. At least there is a number "around"  

The car is based on the 1922 Raworth special that was built for the lands end trial.  It is one of just SIX that were made/sold.

Bj.

• Like 1

Hello Both Dr Data and Frank. 
I really do appreciate your interest and support.

I always like to think that these cars find me. 

So far I have yet to actually see the Morris something that will not happen until it rolls off the trailer and into my garage/carport.

It is just a little time since I did an engine rebuild so I will need to have my "thinking hat" on the right way around.

Just how far I go remains to be seen.

Please do not keep me to this, 
I would like to think that even disregarding the obvious, that this may be my last significant rebuild. Looking back over the past great many years, I have tended to go to the Nuffield family of cars as opposed to Austins. This being so, perhaps this Morris will take on a very special significance as my last attempt at finishing a restoration that someone else has abandoned.

It will be another five days before it is delivered to our home, this gives me just four days to clear a space to accomodate it.

Watch this space.

image.jpeg.ae376ecfa43baeb767ede02892146358.jpeg

IMAG2045.jpg.37792dce789f84d94c2d9acd68fea1b6.jpgNow there is no going back, I have paid for this Morris Cowley using a large lump of my "play money".  Looking at the photographs below, I can only hope that these instruments etc are as described, fully reconditioned, unlike those that came with the ill fated Alvis, cut off directly behind the dials andattached to a piece of wood.

The second photo shows the car, complete with some "nice" head and side lamps etc.  Again, I cannot help but feel that it does have some real potential.

Bj.

PXL_20220906_054649903_MP.jpg.da7cac1d83b0053f7dccfb9ea4d87e43.jpg

IMAG2035.jpg.ea7c12f0fcd9c8a059663e549b40f210.jpg

IMAG2045.jpg.37792dce789f84d94c2d9acd68fea1b6.jpg

• Like 2

I actually know what the Morris is, but never heard of a Raworth Special and though Google searching didn't tell me anything about the Raworth Special it wasn't a complete loss as what was supposed to be Raworth images didn't have a single Raworth, but I did find a picture of the Dodge roadster used in the Great Gatsby movie that I had worked on decades ago. 

"none are known to have survived."

This being correct, I have no problem with having a "Replica" the only proviso is that there is no attempt to "pass it off" as being authentic. The car that I am in the process of buying falls into this category. With it there are some significant variations which make it more of a "Special" than a Replica. I am more than happy to refer to rhe car as a "Special",

Properly done I feel that this does not  devalue the car in any way.  Only time will tell, there is still some considerable work to be done before I can even think about driving it.

Bj.

Now your turn Digger. To even a dedicated Morris enthusiast would be hard pressed to describe the differences between a standard (production is hardly the right word) Raworth Special. I certainly do not claim to be an expert on Morris cars from the period. I imagine that any departure from "standard" would be very difficult for anyone not connected to any one particular car to tell you the difference.

My  own Lagonda Rapier is a typical example. Anyone looking at the car parked in the street would have no way of telling you what makes it so very different to every other Rapier in existence.

But I will not go into that here. It is more than adequately covered in other parts of this Forum.

Bj.

While they do not really take up a lot of space I am again attempting to move on some of the unwanted stuff that has been taking up space in my "garage".

Today I have "found' this "spare" pair of Rapier inlet manifolds.

i.e. The two halves make up just one manifold. They had been "repaired" at some time in the past then replaced by a new pair so these had been left on the shelf. I have advertised them in the Rapier Register "News" and if no one wants them they can go into the scrap bin.

The second photo shows the current pair in use on KG's motor.DSCN7881.jpg.ef7bac9642bc099fbf348253b8d48906.jpgDSCN7882.jpg.b7ec7abf6843bc179f95365459e72934.jpg

Today's sad news is that I still cannot control the urge to have one more "project car" and accordingly that Morris briefly mentioned earlier is about to be unloaded in our drive tomorrow (Wednesday). It is said to be in the "likeness" of a (Bullnose) R.A. special, we will all know more in a day or so.

One or two things that I will be looking for is a pair of those (marine) cowl vents.  That and I still have to decide which colour to paint the mudguards (Fenders) and which colour leather to buy to upholster the seats with. The body on the car is unpainted aluminium and I intend to leave it that way.  The wheels are painted RED and I do NOT intend to leave them that way! They will be painted to match the mudguards.

Bj.

1791757877_RawoodSpecial.jpeg.48594511ce3273418591314a70067ee5.jpeg

Hi Bernie,

Nothing like having a new project car show up in the driveway. Yesterday my youngest brother brought his new project truck over so I could help him with the wiring, he knew the lines were horribly rusty and he was going to be replacing brake lines soon, but one of the rusty lines blew when he parked in my driveway. Soaked my new asphalt with brake fluid so fast there was no getting a pan underneath before it made a mess, after I got my white roadster out of the way we moved his truck into my garage, got a complete ABS brake line set from the parts store and now I have a project car in my garage.

The way I have it figured. if you're a car project kind of guy, better to go find your own project car, before a project car finds you.

• Like 1

My new Morris project was one of my own choosing.

Like a starved animal I could not wait to get it into the garage.

I have already started on a replacement for the two-stroke motorcycle muffler that was attached to the end of the exhaust pipe. There is more than enough work required to keep me busy for some time. I have given the last owner a list of parts missing when he delivered it earlier this week. 

I have very optimistically connected my battery charger up to see it there is any life left in the battery.  

Bj.

image.jpeg.566531dbe27a10a3b15b1b688d4467cd.jpeg

I am sure that you have all seen this before but it is still appropriate.

I have now made a list of all the (essential) parts that the vendor left behind when he very kindly delivered the Morris.

(15 items in total) He tells me (in an email) that he knows where it all is, anything up to 150kms away.  Some how I will now have to go on a tour of the state in the hope of collecting it all. No wonder he insisted on payment in advance on the basis that he would deliver the car for me.

Bj.

1270452336_RawoodSpecial.jpeg.55041b29c871c4ecd5a48eefad293fd0.jpegIMAG2045.jpg.749fd7c0f02ff1f8d6e9792abcf60d2e.jpg

image.jpeg.4234b9e55bb73ad944209da9dd824097.jpeg

Looking at the three photographs above, The first shows an original Morris Cowley "Rawood Special".  The second photograph is of my Morris prior to my purchase.

There are some similarities but then there is a time gap between the two of almost 100 years.

So far I have managed to remove the rope wrapped around the exhaust along with the two-stroke motorcycle muffler, at the end of the pipe..

I am working on a new (fabricated) exhaust muffler to replace the above. Photograph will appear here when finished.

Bj.

In reply to Dr D. The "list" in my scrawl (hand writing) fills an entire (a4) page in my note book. The third photograph shows the Morris "at home" in the doorway of my "garage".

Of interest, those "red" Sankey wheels are actually NEW "Mag-alloy" castings. Identical to the original in appearance.

• Like 1

Great looking old Morris, a fun project for you. Does the windscreen fold or will you be replacing it with some Brooklands-type screens, for that “racing special” look.? Taking the wheels from red to a dark green will make a big improvement in the look.

Keep us updated

• Like 1

Thank you DrD

The windscreen folds flat. With the new body the scuttle is not deep enough (front to rear) to accomodate aero screens. My first task will be to sort out the seats (upholstery colour and materials) i.e. Leather facing and carpet* on seat outside backs. *This must be the same carpet as on the floor. 
I have to wait until the vendor brings the rest of the engine and gearbox until I can finish putting it all together. This is not how I would choose to do it but I have no alternative other than to wait, and that is just not my style.

I am not good at doing nothing!**

Bj.

** Some people may say that I am not good at doing anything!

First I have to decide to repaint the wheels (dark green) or leave them red and have either black or navy (dark) blue upholstery/trim?

Even then I may repaint the wheels .

Red has never been my first choice for a colour. Apart from an Austin Healy Sprite (a long time ago) I have never owned a red car. This was red when I bought it and still the same red when I sold it. (same paint).

My other (Bug-eye) Sprite was Yellow.  More a deep cream, I used to say that it was double "Clotted" cream.

This was a veiled insult to the person asking the question!

Bj.

One of the problems is that I have kept photographs that can only be viewed a ancient history. Just recently I been digging into some photograph albums that contain photos of some of my earlier Morris "Specials" 

Below are some of the later in terms of year manufactured.

The bottom one on this page is actually my second or third car and used as my "daily driver" The size and quality of the photo speaks volumes as to its age both as a car and a photograph.

It too is based on a 1938 Morris 8/40/ (8hp) at the time it was my only form of transport. That must have been almost 70 years ago.

In all that time some people may say that I have learnt nothing!

Thankfully most are of the car without a driver.

The last photo may seem a little incongruous.

It too briefly was my every day transport, sadly, not everyone in my family approved of it.  

1140410305_Scan2.jpeg.42af309ff886d92c7b8762efe75404da.jpeg936550928_Scan4.jpeg.c18488e427c6f1d99419d1e56cb622ee.jpeg

image.jpeg.6eb25867a3efd7ff1a69ea4b051b104b.jpeg

image.jpeg

Attached here are three "progress" photographs of another of my earlier restorations. This one based on a 3.5 Litre SS Jaguar.  When last heard of it was a regular entry in European events.

While not Morris based it is simply another example of one of my Basket-case rescues. A 3.5 Litre SS Jaguar "Special".

850272935_Scan9.jpeg.52e98fb26b4587d324449ed7ff1b95b6.jpeg

Closer to home, the next example is at present sitting in my "carport" It is my 1934 Lagonda Rapier, "Special" another "Basket Case Rescue"

Once known as the Beatrice Shilling racing Lagonda Rapier (top photo), mine for much longer that and now simply known a "KG", taken from its original UK registration number KG5363. We (my wife Helen & I) have driven over 100.000 miles in it both here in Australia and in Europe.  I can promise that indeed this the same car the two photographs separated by about 50 years.

The third photograph taken just minutes ago.

687612192_KG1977.jpeg.18999912f06c7be7e59d2625f8343bc0.jpeg770691775_7395F97D-97B3-4B5D-B18450.jpg.07f5d4bd1357be74ae0488d1629beb94.jpgDSCN7889.jpg.24f171e40593301027637be94eb64c4c.jpg

• Like 1

Basically all that I am doing is to tidy up the body that came on the car, it is professionally built aluminium over a timber frame. It does not have a door but with the spare wheel mounted on the drivers side and the exhaust running along the passenger side. Remember Right Hand Drive. The lack of a door could be counted as a blessing. I am inserting a "trim" panel behind the seats to secure the space in the tail rather than having "stuff" rolling around in there. This will be made so that it is easily removable when/if the space is required for luggage (Unlikely)

This afternoon I have removed both seats on preparation to having them re-upholstered with BLACK hide.

I have  ordered a hide from the Internet (a local wholesaler) so hopefully it will be OK. This solves the problem of deciding what colour to make the interior trim.

Any colour as long as it is Black! as Henry Ford is said to have ruled.

I will wait until it delivered before doing anything more.

If it is too bad, I can always sell it on! I can still introduce some colour with the carpet. This would go on the "outside back" of the seats too. Dark Burgundy (red) is one suggestion. I cannot remember ever doing a Black Interior on one of "my cars". Perhaps it is time; with the (unpainted) Aluminium body it probably needs a dark colour for the interior?

Bernie j.

Hello Bernie,I know it’s been awhile since I posted on your post,explain to me how you can take the transmission out of the rapier go threw it on jack stands in your garage something a lot of us wouldn’t tackle being an automatic,but your not sure of doing another project,Bernie after reading your posts for many years Dixie flyer the packard amongst others I realize you are the man there is nothing you cannot do,as far as being 86 years old you are one of the few that is 86 years young,     Dave

Bernie,

I can tell you from unpleasant experience that black leather in an open car sitting in the sun can get so hot, that sliding your butt into the bucket on a hot sunny day could cauterize your hemorrhoids. When I did the upholstery in my MG, I had black cloth sewn into the seatback and bottom sections, it still got hot in the sun, but not enough to burn your skin.  I haven't done anything to change the black leather seats in the roadster I have now, but it has a  (top) /  hood that doesn't need to be assembled and is easily raised by hand. 

Thank you

I do not have a lot of choice for Leather for the Morris seats, That is without changing the  wheel colour. I think that matching the Red wheels would look "cheap" and the other alternarive could be a lighter biscuit colour which is not very practical. I have  ordered only one hide in Black which IF I do change my mind can be "put into stock (storage) or sold on.  I will wait until I get it here and then decide what to do.

Bernie j.

• Like 1