Carburetor cleaner question

f.f.jones

I want to rebuild a couple of old single and two-barrel carbs (with manual chokes) this winter, but before I do, they will need some serious cleaning. What chemical is best for removing the hard residue on the inside surfaces. I presume ethanol or methanol gasoline was left in them for as long as it took to dry and leave the deposits. On one, the linkage and choke move freely: the other is frozen shut.

Your suggestions will be appreciated.

I have used Simple Green in an ultrasonic cleaner with good results. Not perfect results on heavy deposits, so then I use soda blasting to finish off the castings after the bath of simple Green. I first used a simple blow gun with a spliced on hose to suck up baking soda, now I have the soda blasting hang on unit for my TP blast cabinet. Soda blasting instead of glass beading, as glass beads are not water soluble, so they can get in cervices and never get out. Enough water washing and soda should be out of there.😉

The cleaner I can use gets the Simple Green solution up to 50° C.👍

Someday I need to buy one of my own!

Edited by Frank DuVal (see edit history)

If I hadn't had a 20% off email coupon I don't know if I'd have sprung for it. We had a couple at the powerplant and I found them effective.

The vibratory tumbler cleans things nicely but not sure about using its sharp resin bits on chrome plated sockets. Does great on natural or black oxide finish tools.

It might be a bit much for OP's carb castings though.