Buick apparently had this Pewter Reatta model done for the release of the Reatta in 1988.   Over the years I have attempted to determine the manufacturer and 

roughly how many were made.    I have had leads that failed and now maybe someone on this forum can add something to the history of this model. 

What we know..... it was given to various GM/Buick employees, in some cases an part of an award.    The models were all the same....except some had a number stamped on 

the muffler.    The difference was the walnut stand and the plaque attached.   (1) this plaque indicated it was awarded to the Buick Select 60 Dealers, this was the General Managers award. 

(2) this plaque indicated it was awarded to the "Pacesetters",  this was the Sales Managers award.   The other base/plaque was more genaric and said " Limited Edition 1988.....Commemorative replica"

From the number of these models found,  the quantity was fairly small.... the Select 60 would have been 60 plus maybe some for management... I have been told the Pacesetter number was 100.

The models have been examined by lots of people and we can find no identifying marks or stamps on the model.... the underside is fairly high detail.   The model is 5 inches front to rear. 

Any input would be appriciated.   

DSC00005.JPG

!cid_00aa01cb1a57$ea7ae2b0$6601a8c0@toshibauser.jpg

003 on muffler.jpg

IMG_0937.JPG

pewterSSnametag.gif

• Like 1

I chased a few dead ends.... one potential connection was a pewter 1953 Skylark model that Buick also used as an award.  

It had more info and they probably made a lot more.   The base of the '53 has C. Rufo stamped and I tracked that down to Caesar Rufo and he had worked at Highland Mint in Melbourne Fl. 

His daughter stilled worked  there but was unsuccessful in getting an info/history from her father because of his age/memory.  She said Highland Mint had no record of making the Reatta.

Not sure when this model was first made,  it has a pewter "brick" base attached and a number stamped on the base under the front bumper, I have one that the number is 4714. 

There is a shiny black plastic base that the brick  fits into on what I believe to be the early version.    Sometimes in the '70 when Buick used the hawk,  there was a wooded base with

the Buick Hawk logo embossed into the wood.    This model is 4 7/8 bumper to bumper  

DSCN2868.JPG

53 skylark.jpg

$(KGrHqJHJDgFCIiQTz7,BQr!b6T94w~~60_57.jpg

Edited by Barney Eaton (see edit history)
  • Like 2