Suggestions please! Auto shop workbench surface material....

I need advice. I'll be assembling my workbench soon. Making 4x4 legs and cross supports. My bench top is an old "Toys R Us" store display counter about 14 feet long. The counter top is a very durable formica-like material, but I'm afraid it won't hold up to hammering or other impacts. What would be a strong durable material to put over this??

I'm a fan of masonite for the top layer. Not real hard but relatively cheap to replace if it gets too beat up. I have the center work area covered with a piece of rubber mat like they sell at home improvement stores as rug runners. Has some texture so stuff doesn't roll around and easy to clean, plus it can be removed when you want a hard surface. I have a second bench for clean work that I have covered with carpet.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

For any workbench you need to ask yourself what am I going to do with it? I am not a mechanic so I dont know what an engine builders bench should be, I would think maybe a piece of stainless steel. If its for all purpose work, honestly plastic laminate will work fine. I am primarily a woodworker. I built my bench almost 40 years ago. Figured it would last until I could afford to buy a real one. Its very stout, treated 4 x 4s mortise and tenoned. I made the first top out of treated 2 x 6s I had but it was too uneven to do anything precise on. I found a plastic laminate solid core door that I laid on top and it has been there ever since. I build period reproduction (18th cent style) furniture and I know some of my contemporaries would have a stroke because it is not maple or some other hardwood but it works fine. Paint and glue will scrape right off the surface, it has been hammered on to death, with no damage. Stays true and flat. Masonite is ok, but will wear out.