source of clutch components for '36 Deluxe 8?

Decomobile

Wow. That doesn't sound good. I hope Bob is OK.

KornKurt here on the forum is always my first stop for old Pontiac mechanical stuff like this.

If that doesn't get you anywhere, have you considered having yours rebuilt/resurfaced? It might be problematic because there are some special fixtures needed to set up the pressure plate if its been disassembled or it's adjustments touched. I have seen rebuilt pressure plates on ebay in recent times, no idea of the quality. I would prefer to get the original resurfaced if possible. I just had mine apart and it didn't need it.

The piece the throwout bearing rides on is replaceable, and you do see those NOS/NORS on ebay from time to time.

The throwout bearing is carbon. The Filling Station rebuilds those for Chevrolets.

https://store.fillingstation.com/shop/

The Pontiac one looks suspiciously similar, and I suspect it is a mirror image of the Chevrolet, and if you tried to use a Chevrolet bearing the oil cup would be upside down. I would check with them and see if they can rebuild a Pontiac bearing. Probably. Do you need one though? They have slots in the carbon for wear indicators. If it's still got slots, oil the cup and go. Maybe if it is completely dried out, soak it in hot motor oil for a while and then wipe it off real good.

Clutch discs can be relined. I took a Buick one to Brake and Clutch of Seattle, WA. Much to my surprise I had it back the same day. Brake and Equipment of Minneapolis, MN is another good place to check for stuff like this. I might ask either of these places about pressure plate resurfacing while I was at it. If you have it relined, read what the manual says in the specs table, and then take a tape measure to the lining so you understand what is going on. Also measure the pressure plate face. That lining needs to be SLIGHTLY LESS than the 2 inches it looks like it should be. My disc has a 2 inch lining on it, and was starting to grow a ridge. That really shouldn't be. A ridge can promote chattering.

https://brakeandclutchsupply.com/

https://brakeandequipment.com/machine-shop/

The pilot bearing is a Hyatt roller bearing, and there is a shield over it you have to pull. I had to buy an expanding puller to get it out, but the good news is that shield thing is thick and it is possible to get it out without destroying it, even though it is a bit of a pain. If you need either of those parts, and Kurt or California Pontiac, or the usual suspects in the ETC newsletter don't have them, you'll probably have to lurk ebay. I have seen them on ebay occasionally. Mine were still good. Maybe yours will be too.

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)

Unfortunately Kurt didn't have any of the clutch components. A note from Bob Graves' family said he was in the hospital fighting for his life with covid and that was over a week ago. Let's hope and pray for the best. They're hoping he'll be back in business by mid-January.

Check with H & S Clutch Rebuilders in Johnson City , Tenn. Just had my 51 pressure plate rebuilt. Excellent service and very fair price. 423-282-2084.   

• Like 1