Thermostats, keep them or ?? V-12

lincolnmatthews

When I go to re-assemble my engine again!! I'm thinking about not using them. I wouldn't probably drive much in the cold, besides these car run hot anyway.

My thermostats are probably 50 yrs old if not the originals (I've had car over 30 yrs). When I had one out & squeezed it some coolant leaked out from the coils. I don't know but wouldn't think there should be coolant in the coils? Anyway replacements aren't cheap may just leave them out for now

There has been a lot of discussion on this subject.  If your cooling system is really CLEAN!   That is block, radiator core, good hoses( not soft or 

rotten) ; use thermostats. Some  flat head V8 guys  have said you have to slow the water flow down to let the radiator do it's cooling. Your water pumps have to be in good condition ,also. I like 160 degrees. Check with our vendors on this site. Yes ,they are not cheap.... but is anything with these V12's!!!  Your thermostats  sound as if they are ready for the scrap  copper/ brass box. My V12's have always run warm

I doubt there is any logical reason to not use correct thermostats as their job is to bring the engine to running temperature as quickly as possible. If they are causing overheating the cooling system has a fault or the thermostat itself is not functioning. If the reason is cost, it is more costly to not use them.

I forgot to mention in my post above--- does your engine have the water pump deflector plates? These are 2- left & right brass sheeting pcs.

that fit up in the engine behind the water pumps. These were installed at the factory ,1941 and later. They help to divert coolant back to help cool the 

rear cylinders . The pumps have to be removed to look in to see if they were installed. They snap in , no fasteners are required 

Thermostats help the engine to reach operating temperatures quickly. This helps to prevent sludge and if you do not drive it much, sludge can build up quickly even with modern detergent oils and a filter.

I would also put in the deflector plates. They will help prevent overheating and foaming of the coolant in hot spots.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Are these deflectors not installed in the 1940 V12?

It was mentioned above that the factory started putting them in in 1941. 

Should I put them in mine?

Does anyone have a drawing I could make some from, or are they available to buy?

Thanks 

Check with Chris Harrel at Boos Harrel Lincoln, he might have some.  I think they appeared around the time of the '41 Lincolns, not sure.  They divert coolant to the rear of the engine where it gets the hottest due to design of the block.  Others might have some too.  They are made of sheet brass and fit behind both water pumps.  Even though I live in the tropics I use the thermostats as the engine needs to get to the correct temperature in order to be the most functional when running.  Certainly if you are in snow country you will need them!

Edited by Ray500
wrong attachment (see edit history)

In looking back in this forum someone had mentioned that Earle O. Brown of Pennsylvania had stock on the diverters.  He's also listed as a supplier on the Club's website.  I had heard he was more recently in the hospital and not sure of his current situation.  You might want to look him up and see what he has available.