Chrysler CP8 1932, Crankshaft Main Bearings

MTU

Dear Community,

We are looking for the crankshaft's main bearings for a Chrysler CP8 1932. The engine will undergo a rebuild, so the shaft will be downsized.

I've tried to contact couple of shops, but they do not have main in stock.

Any advise where to get ones (actually, rods' bearings will be also interesting) or probably any details on their size just to find matching parts?..

Regards, Eugen

1 hour ago, DFeeney said:

Hello My 1931 CD-8 engine had Babbitt rods and mains.  I am not sure when Chrysler went to insert bearings with their 8. 

Interesting. CP8 has "normal" bearings as metal inserts, as we know it from nowadays.

The problem is, we have "nominal" size, but we need "oversize" ones, for the "undersized" crankshaft after machining.

1d48ed03-275d-4285-a960-dc29992bdec2.JPG5689e479-cbbf-495d-bcd7-e5a5c2c3b067.JPG.faff96f3f380a7ef3196b8c0bd20ca82.JPG

Edited by MTU (see edit history)

I don't know if it will help in your search, but what you probably need is undersize bearings. Those would be for an undersize crank.

An oversize bearing insert is for an oversize hole, and is a much rarer beast because an oversize hole in a rod or block can often be corrected by resizing the rod or align boring the block. With the common type of bearing inserts neither of those holes are wearing surfaces. Machine work is necessary anyway if they become damaged.

17 hours ago, Bloo said:

I don't know if it will help in your search, but what you probably need is undersize bearings. Those would be for an undersize crank.

An oversize bearing insert is for an oversize hole, and is a much rarer beast because an oversize hole in a rod or block can often be corrected by resizing the rod or align boring the block. With the common type of bearing inserts neither of those holes are wearing surfaces. Machine work is necessary anyway if they become damaged.

Probably you are right, thanks! Need to check once again, if we need to machine the block itself (the "beds") or it's enough to undersize the shaft. Any ideas where to get undersized bearings? :)

3 hours ago, DFeeney said:

Have you tried EGGE Machine in California?

Yes, I've already contacted them. Nothing on stock for main ones, only rods'.

Is it possible to get the size of the undersized bearings? Then we might find some similar ones.