1948 PAINT COLORS

autonut

Want to repaint my 1948 Olds 98 with the original colors more or less.  I would like to paint the top color the factory color called "Tawnee Buff" #23. Ditzler #20448. Martin-Senour #61-1083

The bottom color I would like to paint with the factory color called "Praline Brown" #26. The Ditzler # was 20449.  Martin-Senour #61-1082

I was wondering if anyone has the original mixing information on these two colors.  I cannot find any cross matches to todays PPG paint colors unfortunately.  Can anyone help me out?  I am not too savvy regarding paint & paint codes.  Had no luck at the local paint supply store.

Lee Noga

Yes I have essentially the same info from two different manufacturers with different numbers.  But unfortunately no way to get combination mixing colors that I know of.  Do you have any suggestions at all? I am kind of stumped at this point and perhaps you are no better off than me.  Thanks for trying to help however.

Lee

You can dig through all kinds of older paint charts from maybe the 1960s-1980s for days and hopefully find a color that's close that a paint shop can still mix.  If you have an actual piece of the car that's painted the color you want (fender skirt, bracket, something like that) someone that mixes colors in a good experienced paint shop can get you a close match made up from scratch. They'll record the formula and you'll be able to get more mixed in the future if you ever need it. I used to spend hours & hours doing this, I'd pick colors from paint store catalogs, take the chips outside to see how they look in the sunlight. etc.  but I have since given up and mostly refer to a generic paint store catalog like this NAPA fleet chart with solids & metallics. Most of these once-common colors can still be mixed and they have been close enough for me especially for a total repaint. I mean how much time do you want to spend searching for perfection? How exact of a match to the original does the color have to be? Who's going to know? Life's too short, I get as close to the original color as I can and that's it. Nobody ever came up to me and said "Hey buddy, your paint's not quite the right color!"

IMG_0241.JPG

IMG_0242.JPG

IMG_0243.JPG

55er what is your name if I may ask?  Where are you located?  I always like to get more acquainted with those in the old car field.  And like to always use first names.  Don't know yours at the present.

But anyway I have come to the same conclusion.  I found an old 1952 Martin Seyneour catalog with paint chips, that has the paint chips in it that I was looking for.  I will try to come up with a color that closely matches the original colors.  They have a camera that will focus on the chip I believe that will come pretty close to the correct color.  But just matching chips is probably the best way. Easiest and that way I will have the newer paint code and mixture.  Could not see where members are listed on the website.

Lee

If you have any part of the car with the original colors, using a paint vendor with a computerized scanner is one way to get a match.

Alternately, companies like TCP Global mix and sell original paint colors. They sell lacquer as well as modern BC/CC paints.

https://www.autocolorlibrary.com/