1934 Chrysler Airflow CU gearbox

maok

I know that the cheaper cousin, the Airstream definitely had synchro's in the '36 model, would appreciate some one can confirm if the '34 CU Airflow also did or not.

Pic for attention purposes.

batch_P7280135.jpg.771733a7978080af368e0e91c7989755.jpg

My guess is it is synchromesh on second and third like many cars of the period. I read all about those transmissions back when there was a 34 Desoto Airflow for sale on here 2 or 3 years ago, and I don't recall anything about unsynchronized transmissions. The Desoto was not offered with overdrive in 34 but the Chrysler was. Those earliest overdrives were inside the transmission case unlike the later ones with a separate rear housing. I was trying to figure out if a Chrysler overdrive transmission could be slid into the Desoto, with only the driveline length needing to be changed. Spoiler: probably yes. It is all Warner Gear stuff and pretty similar. If you want to see info about those transmissions, seek information about the overdrive. As I recall there is an overdrive spotters guide over on p15-d24.com . Asking over there would be another option, as those guys would probably know.

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)

Thanks Bloo, that is my guess as well, but it would be good to have it confirmed. Big difference in drive ability between a non synchro ('37 Dodge) and synchro('36 Airstream) boxes cars, I have one of both, I know which I prefer to drive.

I asked here hoping to get a definitive answer. Now that most of the country (Aust.) is getting out of lock down, I'm considering a '34, I know its a solid axle up front not coil springs. I prefer the exterior look of the '34 and the seats but the mechanical features of a 36 are ideal for regular driving, prefer the dashboard as well. Anyone have a hybrid of a '34 and '36 combo...lol

Edited by maok (see edit history)
  • Like 1

On 11/13/2021 at 9:06 PM, maok said:

Hi all, couldn't find it with a google search, does this gearbox have synchromesh gears in 2nd and 3rd ?

I had well-used '35 DeSoto SG Airflow and the gearbox was one of the nicest things about it.  Syncro 2nd and 3rd and a nice, tight shift.  There's no doubt a Chrysler Airflow would also be syncro.

If you have Airflow questions, the best place to ask them is the Airflow group on groups.io.  Very knowledgeable and helpful guys there.  https://groups.io/g/airflowcars

Peter

• Like 2

• 7 months later...