1954 Olds accelerator linkage pictures needed

rocken

I am working on a 1951 Olds Super 88 that has a 1954 324 cu in. engine. It had a 3 x 2 setup on it but the owner wanted to go back to the original 2 barrel manifold which he had along with the carb. However, none of the linkage came with it. I don't know if it is possible to fabricate something that would work or not, but I would like some pictures to see what it is like. Or, if someone has any for sale, that would be great! There must be two rods I'm guessing, one to the carb, and one for the transmission kickdown. Any help is  greatly appreciated!!

Thanks, Ken

Olds carb and Hydramatic trans linkages were overly complicated in the 1950s.  You will be looking for a lot of parts unless you get the whole setup from a junked car.  On the 324's I have had, they used a bell crank system mounted to the intake manifold and then that pushes the carb link forward and the modulator link to trans comes from that bellcrank also. The trans link needs to be set up correctly so that the trans gets more fluid pressure as the throttle is increased.

Is the original 2 barrel manifold from the 1951 303, or is it from the later 324?  The port openings at the heads are different.  303 is very small, 324 is much bigger.  Bolt patterns are the same. Test fit the intake gaskets if using a 303 manifold on 324 heads.  I am nearly sure it will seal OK if you use 324 gaskets. You cannot use 303 gaskets with a 303 intake on 324 heads, it won't seal.

14 hours ago, rocken said:

but I would like some pictures to see what it is like

I just looked in my 1957 Olds factory parts book that goes back to the 1951 cars too.  That book has good full page linkage/bellcrank diagrams for 1951 88 as well as showing a different one for 1951 98.  This book only shows one linkage/bellcrank setup for any 324 year, a 1956, but it's for the 56 Jetaway not a 56 Hydramatic. 

(Your car likely has a Hydramatic, unless they swapped in a 56 324 with the Jetaway A/T)  The 1956 324 base model 88 A/T was the older style Hydramatic, and all 1956 super 88's and 98's used the new Jetaway.

If I knew which year intake manifold and carb you have, I can take a pic of the correct diagram.  If you needed a 54-55 diagram which would be the Hydramatic, I'd need to find my 1955 book to see if Olds ever made that diagram.

Thank you for the info. I found a 54 that a friend has that he hopes someday to get running. He let me remove the linkage from it and I'll see if I can have one of my machinist friends make something similar. the only difference that I found is that the rod to the gas pedal bellcrank appears to be too long.. All the other parts are there. Looks like all I need are the 3 rods. I'll get a picture tomorrow.

The intake was off the 324, as was the carb, so no problems there. Yes it is the Hydramatic. 

Thanks again!

Ken

Thank you for the info. I found a 54 that a friend has that he hopes someday to get running. He let me remove the linkage from it and I'll see if I can have one of my machinist friends make something similar. the only difference that I found is that the rod to the gas pedal bellcrank appears to be too long.. All the other parts are there. Looks like all I need are the 3 rods. I'll get a picture tomorrow.

The intake was off the 324, as was the carb, so no problems there. Yes it is the Hydramatic. 

Thanks again!

Ken

Finally got some pictures. Hope you agree that all I need are the 3 rods. Those are being made.

IMG_2601.JPG

IMG_2602.JPG

• 1 month later...