Quarter Window Weather Stripping Comparison

sixxer

Hey everyone, I ended up going down the rabbit hole with testing two different brands of quarter window edge seals trying to find the best option and wanted to share my learnings. I'm working on a fun project of installing sound deadening all over the car. I'm then testing with decibel meter to see/hear the differences it makes trying to find the best "bang for your buck" on where to deaden but ran into a snag. Wind, water and traffic noise from the faulty weather stipping is leaking into my life and throwing off my readings. Here's what was left of the drivers side!

314905312_ScreenShot2021-11-07at6_56_19AM.png.8a7776588e99530ad6ad84aee075af01.png

To fix this I ordered a two different seals and decided to do a comparison of their fitment/feel/material on our 1963 Buick Riviera. I chose SoffSeal (SoftSeal) for the "brand name" since they are generally considered the standard IMO for weather stripping. I then ordered a set from Old Buick Parts because they appeared to be a generic no-name for our comparison. When it arrived the Old Buick Parts seals where labeled as manufactured by Cars, Inc.

1558311637_ScreenShot2021-11-07at7_02_16AM.png.583d2fb9fe91f10d380b192c60e746ca.png

92552718_ScreenShot2021-11-07at7_22_14AM.png.fcc65e8662c15d2dd77355b8931771b4.png

The SoffSeal is supposedly direct fit for the 63, 64 and 65 Buick Riviera while the Old Buick Parts brand fits 1964-1974 LeSabre, Centurion, Wildcat, Electra, Riviera.

SoffSeal Quarter Window Seal

Old Buick Parts Quarter Window Seal

The SoffSeal ended up being extremely hard to fit and about and inch too short (story of my life). It is 1/8" wider than the Old Buick Parts/Cars, Inc. seal as shown in the picture above but the window still has plenty of over lap with both brands. The only way I could actually get the SoffSeal to even somewhat fit into the grove was to "point" the edges of and use lots of Windex as a lube to slide it up the channel.

518888063_ScreenShot2021-11-07at7_08_08AM.png.ebef66703505dee1f25a64e4614c5cad.png

1561311786_ScreenShot2021-11-07at7_08_35AM.png.9198484e513e7b2b3ff2118e1f59a9de.png

While car may not be the best example of stock, my old weather stripping did not the 45 degree angle at the bottom and combined with awkwardly hard installation confirmed my decision not to use the SoffSeal brand.

1199599223_ScreenShot2021-11-07at7_12_34AM.png.54fcaa2c4616c92aca12b7b2511617d5.png

Trying out the Car's Inc version - it was pretty much the exact opposite experience on fitment. Almost too loose. But I could cut it to fit and it was nothing 3M 08008 Weather Stripping Adhesive couldn't fix. I also liked that the Old Buick Parts seals are softer foam based rubber rather than the SoffSeal which is much more of a harder/firm rubber piece. It has made the interior much quieter while driving around and I'm sure it'll leak less water too. Here's a picture while I waited for the glue to dry.

1097491733_ScreenShot2021-11-07at7_17_48AM.png.346c585fc89931e0280a26e981424d70.png

Here's the video I made about the parts - It's hard to show the softness of rubber and some of these install issues on photos. Let me know what you think and your experiences!

Weather Stripping Comparison - 1963-65 Buick Riviera

Edited by sixxer
Added link (see edit history)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Matthew,

I enjoyed your video!  Thanks for sharing your experience with the two quarter window seal brands you evaluated.

I need to replace the original seals on my '65 as they long ago split at the bottom and have been held together with black fabric tape - not ideal.

Based on your review, I'll order the CARS quarter window seals and give them a go!

Question - are the original steel-cored seals glued into the chromed window channels?  Are these hard to get out?  Do I just yank with pliers, or will they slide out easily with a bit of persuation?

Thanks again,

18 minutes ago, 65VerdeGS said:

Hi Matthew,

I enjoyed your video!  Thanks for sharing your experience with the two quarter window seal brands you evaluated.

I need to replace the original seals on my '65 as they long ago split at the bottom and have been held together with black fabric tape - not ideal.

Based on your review, I'll order the CARS quarter window seals and give them a go!

Question - are the original steel-cored seals glued into the chromed window channels?  Are these hard to get out?  Do I just yank with pliers, or will they slide out easily with a bit of persuation?

Thanks again,

Another route to consider is Steele Rubber Products or Rubber the Right Way. They seem to pattern very carefully to recreate products as original. I have purchased from both companies and I have never been disappointed with their products. I replaced one of my rear quarter window seals recently and opted for the Steele Rubber Products version. Probably due to pricing at the time. When purchasing items from either of those companies or CARS, Inc. Old Buick parts check e-bay to see if they have the product you are looking for there. It is many times cheaper than going to their websites or you can save on shipping or both. Very happy with the quarter window seal. It looks as original, no problems with fitment and seals as it should. Trimming is needed at the bottom which is no big deal.

Bill

IMG_8107.JPG

IMG_8110.JPG

IMG_8111.JPG

1 hour ago, 65VerdeGS said:

Hi Matthew,

Thanks again,

Hey buddy! One of mine was attached or maybe re-attached at some point in its life with RTV. So your mileage may very based on if someone has been in your car before or if they were trying to fix a leak or hold them together after a tear. I don’t believe they were ever glue from the factory for 63-65. I yanked mine out with pliers in a few minutes - although they basically disintegrated onto the floor haha.

1 hour ago, Riviera63 said:

Another route to consider is Steele Rubber Products or Rubber the Right Way. They seem to pattern very carefully to recreate products as original. I have purchased from both companies and I have never been disappointed with their products. I replaced one of my rear quarter window seals recently and opted for the Steele Rubber Products version. Probably due to pricing at the time. When purchasing items from either of those companies or CARS, Inc. Old Buick parts check e-bay to see if they have the product you are looking for there. It is many times cheaper than going to their websites or you can save on shipping or both. Very happy with the quarter window seal. It looks as original, no problems with fitment and seals as it should. Trimming is needed at the bottom which is no big deal.

Bill

IMG_8107.JPG

IMG_8110.JPG

IMG_8111.JPG

That Steele looks awfully similar to the Old Buick Parts seal except “puffyier” - if that’s a word? I honestly prefer cutting to make sure it fits perfect. This looks like a solid contender! Good find!