Pulling the Radiator on My 1938 66S

Daves1940Buick56S

Well it's radiator pull time as outlined in my overheating thread. The water pump is already out. I have a lot of experience pulling the radiator on the '40 but this is the first time on the '38. I appears the hood assy is held on by 2 bolts: one up under the cowl that is accessed from behind the dash and one just above the radiator. There seems to be a cross brace above the radiator with 2 bolts on each end. Then the usual 3 bolts on each side of the radiator. Then tilt back towards the engine and out. I may have to pull the alternator to get it out of the way. Does this seem correct? Anything I am missing or tricks to know?

Cheers, Dave

Dave:

Correct.  You may want to leave the chrome center strip on the hood upon removal.  Also, you may want to remove the generator for more room for the radiator removal.  The cardboard is a 'given' to save the radiator from damage during the water pump removal process; including your knuckles.  In addition, if you have any small oil leaks coming from the timing chain cover you can remove the timing chain cover and install a new gasket.

Lawence

• Like 1