1934 Lasalle generator

zephyrdave

I am working on a 1934 Lasalle. The generator regulator is missing. They had a cut out/current regulator. The generator puts out about 25 amps. Is there a cut out/current regulator/voltage regulator available that controls current to about 22 amps and 6 volts? The generator number is Delco 961D.

961D. 

Edited by zephyrdave (see edit history)

I can't find any reference to that generator number, I must not have the right book. How many brushes? A cutout combined with a current regulator (but no voltage regulator) makes no sense. I doubt they actually did that. Is the 961-D original to the 34 LaSalle? Are there any complications like automatic starting?

On most cars in 1934 there is only a cutout, and no regulation at all except what happens by a third brush in the generator. By 1936, LaSalle had a modern 2 brush generator available with a true 3 core regulator (cutout, voltage regulator, current regualtor) that it shared with Ponitac police cars. Those regulators had 6(!) terminals. They are almost impossible to find.

Is a 34 LaSalle positive or negative ground?

In 1934 Delco cutouts were still in the 265 series, such as "265-B" part number.  Circa 1938 Delco changed its parts numbering format to seven numbers, and cutout number 1867781 became the replacement for all the previous 265 series going into the early 1920s.  1867781 was used as late as 1939 on Chev Standard w/3-brush generators.  Check eBay for "Delco 1867781".

Edited by Grimy
added 1 word (see edit history)
  • Like 1

According to the 1934 lasalle shop manual and original wiring diagrams they had a 961C two brush gen equipped with a cut out/current regulator. In 1935 they added the voltage regulator. This gen. says 961D, there probably isn't much difference between C and D. This is a 6 volt pos. ground.