Oil pump late teens

dl456

Thanks Scott for the info.I suspect that the oil pumps may have been changed at some point because we have seen both die cast and steel gears.

I am trying to determine a time line and change date if possible.

Bob,

We need both the drive and driven gears.

Thanks,

Dennis

The drive gear (p/n 16944) and the idler gear or driven gear (p/n 16946) we’re both die cast and used from 1916-1919 on all models and from 1920-1924 on the Special Six and Big Six models. In 1925, the gears were changed to steel (p/ns 110599 and 110600) but the entire pump was modified so they probably are not interchangeable with the die cast parts.

Scott

Thanks again Scott,

We have seen steel and die cast both within those years.

Maybe some replaced with steel in the past. 
Maybe Nors parts from the past.

I will be looking for a solution to remove these hand grenades from the equation

Any ideas?

Thanks

Dennis

I wasn’t aware that the early Studebakers had an issue with the oil pump gears. There are lots of cars driving around with original gears. Up until 1925 they just used splash lubrication so the pump just flowed oil around and there was little stress on those gears. It wasn’t until full-pressure lubrication that an upgrade was needed.

Hello Scott,

Perhaps I’m looking for a solution for a problem that doesn’t exist. You are correct, low stress and pressure.

We just got a 16 back together (original and untouched for years). .The gears were cracked and swelled to the housing walls.

We found a different pump housing in our parts. The steel gears from that pump fit the old housing perfectly and now peg the gauge 

I have a hate/hate relationship with everything die cast.

Thanks,

Dennis