Newbie with a 31 Dodge problem

31 DD 6

I have acquired a 1931 Dodge Brothers 6 cyl 4 dr sedan. The carb and fuel pump have been rebuilt, the gas tank flushed and relined, new axle seals and bearings installed, as well as tires, tubes and brake hoses. The wooden spokes and rims were shell blasted and repainted, and all new electrical wiring is in progress, which will update the car to having two stop lights, with turn signals and running lights all around. It needs a full interior make-over, a fabric roof, some chroming, body work and paint, but all in all, it almost gets me back into the mood of my younger days when it didn't hurt so much to bend over, lay on my back or lay on a garage floor for hours.

But I've run into a few things on this project that I'd not run across with more modern vehicles.These will probably sound silly to some of you, but it seems things were done differently some 90 years ago. The bottom of the rear seat lifted straight up and out easily, so that was good. But so far, I have NOT been able to get the BACK of the rear seat out, nor have I been able to figure out how to remove the rear armrests. I've tried lifting then pulling the seat back out at the bottom. Solid. I've tried pushing the top down to then pull forward. Still solid. I've tried to feel up behind the bottom for bolts or screws, but didn't feel anything obvious. As far as the armrests, I see no screws as in later years, and the fabric does not appear to be removable to locate hidden screws. ANY help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Sounds like a great car. 
On mine which are 29 and could be different there is 2or 3 small tags at the bottom of the seat that bolts go through and once they are undone they lift up of a couple of tabs at the top. 

I’ll try to post some pictures of my 32 DB when I was taking out the back seat.  Tomorrow as I’ll have to search my computer files.  I’m pretty sure my seat hung on two hooks near the top of the seat.  I think there were two brackets at the bottom that held it in place.  Remove the brackets on the bottom, then lift the seat back up and off the hooks.  I’m just guessing on the bottom brackets and will have to check.

Not sure whether your car is quite the same, but on my '29 I have U-shaped clips that mount to 2 metal braces behind the back seat...if I remember right the back seat spring frame sits into these clips.....I had to lift seat up a couple of inches while pulling outward....kinda awkward as the seat back is large. The armrest in my car has a sideways keyhole in the metal under upholstery under rear quarter window..... so I have to pull armrest forward until the screw in the armrest aligns with wide end of keyhole....it then pulls right out.....hope that makes sense.....not sure if that is your car's setup,  but maybe it helps.

19 hours ago, 31 DD 6 said:

I have acquired a 1931 Dodge Brothers 6 cyl 4 dr sedan. The carb and fuel pump have been rebuilt, the gas tank flushed and relined, new axle seals and bearings installed, as well as tires, tubes and brake hoses. The wooden spokes and rims were shell blasted and repainted, and all new electrical wiring is in progress, which will update the car to having two stop lights, with turn signals and running lights all around. It needs a full interior make-over, a fabric roof, some chroming, body work and paint, but all in all, it almost gets me back into the mood of my younger days when it didn't hurt so much to bend over, lay on my back or lay on a garage floor for hours.

But I've run into a few things on this project that I'd not run across with more modern vehicles.These will probably sound silly to some of you, but it seems things were done differently some 90 years ago. The bottom of the rear seat lifted straight up and out easily, so that was good. But so far, I have NOT been able to get the BACK of the rear seat out, nor have I been able to figure out how to remove the rear armrests. I've tried lifting then pulling the seat back out at the bottom. Solid. I've tried pushing the top down to then pull forward. Still solid. I've tried to feel up behind the bottom for bolts or screws, but didn't feel anything obvious. As far as the armrests, I see no screws as in later years, and the fabric does not appear to be removable to locate hidden screws. ANY help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Private message sent with a name and number who may be able to help you.

John