Oilzum sign at auction - watching to see what happens?

Described as the "Holy Grail" is this circa 1909 Oilzum sign.  Allegedly it is the only known example and is in pretty decent condition.  It's being sold by Richmond Auctions and bidding ends Saturday.  It's already at $13K.   Out of my league.  Think I'll wait until the reproductions start to show up, or better yet, someone will make a T-shirt out of it.   Meantime, I'm enjoying the excitement.

Terry

Oilzum.jpg

Edited by Terry Bond (see edit history)

My guess is at least $40K.  A friend of mine probably spends $40 to 50K  at every major advertising auction he attends although he specializes in Neon.  There is unlimited money out there and with inflation over 8% people want their excess money in "real" goods that appreciate. 

Great signs are difficult to buy at ANY price. Just like great cars. Add in an overheated stock market, and rampant inflation........and the number makes perfect sense. 

Both of those went to the same collector. The back up bidders on both were different. The moto meter was also very special and it went for 69k in total. Both of the above are over 90 with fee's. We pride ourselves on bringing the rarest and highest condition stuff to market, all of it is no reserve. That's the trick in my opinion to bringing the money out. People need to know they're going to buy. We had about 10-15% of the auction fall through with some great deals for buyers. 

Our next auction will be in April, when we try and do it all again. So far this is 4 pieces over 2 auctions that are once in a lifetime pieces. Really proud of that. 

The 18% Buyers premium isn't a bad chunk of change for the house either. It didn't seem to be any issue for the buyers.

Terry