WTB: Chrysler CP-8 1932 Cylinder Head and Gear Box

Dear Community,

We are restoring a Chrysler CP-8 1932 and looking for a cylinder head for the Engine Model CP-5377 (completely missing on our vehicle) and a gear box Nr. 311053-2 (toasted).

Thank you,

Regards, Eugene

image-01-09-21-03-08_CP-8.jpeg

image-01-09-21-03-08-2.jpeg

image-01-09-21-03-13.jpeg

image-01-09-21-03-08.jpeg

26 minutes ago, DFeeney said:

Are you looking for the 4 speed transmission?

Thanks for reply!

Good question :) I am on the trip right now, but I believe, it should be 3 forward + 1 reverse. I did not know, there had been 4 forwards + 1 reverse in the 30th.

Will recheck it upon my return. Do you probably have couple of photos of your one?..

12 minutes ago, DFeeney said:

My 1931 CD-8 had the 4 speed forward.  It is now sold.  I do not know if it was carried over in 32. I would look for a 1930/31/32 Dodge transmission. You need one that has the shifter handle coming out of the top of the transmission.

Thanks! we will have a look on our one by the end of the week :)

Any idea where to search for Dodge's box?..

On 9/14/2021 at 8:10 AM, 24Chry48 said:

The 32 CP used a three speed transmission. The four speeds in the 31's were troublesome, and some of the cars were converted to three speed by the dealers, I understand at no cost to the owner.  Good luck finding a CP trans. They are scarce.

Thanks for Info! Any ideas where to look at?.. Sounds like parts for old Chryslers are really rare 😕

Parts are very hard to find. A couple of my friends out east that had these cars and parts have passed away. I'll be at Hershey and I talk to quite a few old Chrysler people there, so I will keep you in mind.  But don't give up the hunt. These cars are beautiful works of art when finished. You have to be patient.

Edited by 24Chry48 (see edit history)

Back in the day (1931) when Chrysler dealers  were exchanging the troublesome 4 sp transmissions with a 3 speed I believe they used  a 1930 Dodge 3 sp.  They bolted in with no changes other than perhaps the hole in the transmission floor cover plate and the length of the drive shaft. The Dodge six and eight used the same transmission with the exception of different speedometer drive gears.  The case number is 308741.  These will not fall out of the sky into your backyard and you have to chase them down.  In the past year I have been offered 4 but no longer have a need.  I would join the Dodge brothers club and  advertise in their magazine.  Also post a add in the AACA forum under Dodge.  Chip away a little each day on the project and you will move forward.

On 9/12/2021 at 10:55 PM, MTU said:

Dear Community,

We are restoring a Chrysler CP-8 1932 and looking for a cylinder head for the Engine Model CP-5377 (completely missing on our vehicle) and a gear box Nr. 311053-2 (toasted).

Thank you,

Regards, Eugene

image-01-09-21-03-08_CP-8.jpeg

image-01-09-21-03-08-2.jpeg

image-01-09-21-03-13.jpeg

image-01-09-21-03-08.jpeg

Private message sent. John

On 9/21/2021 at 11:19 PM, DFeeney said:

Back in the day (1931) when Chrysler dealers  were exchanging the troublesome 4 sp transmissions with a 3 speed I believe they used  a 1930 Dodge 3 sp.  They bolted in with no changes other than perhaps the hole in the transmission floor cover plate and the length of the drive shaft. The Dodge six and eight used the same transmission with the exception of different speedometer drive gears.  The case number is 308741.  These will not fall out of the sky into your backyard and you have to chase them down.  In the past year I have been offered 4 but no longer have a need.  I would join the Dodge brothers club and  advertise in their magazine.  Also post an add in the AACA forum under Dodge.  Chip away a little each day on the project and you will move forward.

Dear DFeeney, thanks a lot for pointing out the way for transmission, will definitely try it! Do you probably have any ideas for the cylinder head?.. Is there any compatibilities with Dodge as well?..

Regards, Eugene

Hello again, I would think a 32/33/34 Chrysler head might interchange as they are about the same C.I.  Harold Dillon from Canada is redoing a CD-8 and has quite a knowledge of early Chrysler 8's.  He also has a lot of spare parts.  His AACA forum name is Gunsmoke and his home E-mail address is harold.dillon@bellaliant.net. Good Luck