1931 Buick 66s. Oil cooler

Coupe 31

Hello.buick forum

recently bought this car in restored condition but im getting engine oil in the radiator mixed with antifreeze

can someone tell me best way to disable

the oil cooler w/o removing it so it looks factory original as the restoration is very correct.

i understand these oil coolers were problematic from the beginning

thanks for your help

pic of cooler belowA8E168C3-BF69-49EE-88DC-27908D5BF476.jpeg.900a4976a343e60a074aecf85c9bd1fa.jpeghelp

I've been meaning to do this for 10 years on our 90 series.  You'll just have to unsolder and seperate the systems so they can't ever leak.  I've seen guys bypass them from the bottom oil lines but it doesn't look good.  

I was going to gain access inside to the oil lines and run them together.

A good radiator shop would be able to do this if you can talk them into it.  

Coupe 31

Sorry I can't find any pictures. If you just remove the oil cooler, you will see it only takes a little plumbing to remove the honeycomb heat exchanger and replace it with some 

copper tubing than replace the cover. Looks stock. I had to coat the inside of my cover with JB Weld, had some pin holes. 

Good luck,

Jim

• Like 2

Good idea on the internal bypass. Here is a photo of an external by pass. You can't see it standing by the fender and if it was painted I would think it would blend in nicely. Mine was this way when I got it. 

Dave

oil cooler bypass.jpg

31 oil cooler side.jpg