" Retard" marked US gauge

roysboystoys

I'll share this from the guys at HAMB: Still need to find out what it was for and make of vehicle. Late teens - mid 20's?

"The present invention relates to gauges and has special reference to retard gauges in which mechanism is employed to retard the movement of the gauge mechanism whenever the normal operating range of the gauge is exceeded.

More particularly this invention relates to a retard gauge having provision for controlling the exact point at which the retard mechanism comes into operation, and also for easily and accurately adjusting the retard mechanism to increase or decrease its retarding force or elect.

In a vacuum and pressure gauge such as that illustrated, the normal pressure range may be from 0 to 50 pounds. When the pressure exceeds 50 pounds, the mechanism is retarded so that the indicator moves a relatively small distance while indicating a relatively large change in pressure.

An object of the present invention is to provide a retard gauge having means for readily and accurately adjusting the retard range of the gauge.

Another object is to provide a retard gauge which may be quickly adjusted to control the exact point at which the retard mechanism comes into operation."

• Like 1

Looks early. . . . Vacuum - pressure. . . . . ???   

My head is filled with thoughts of the control panel on a Fire Engine/pumper. . . . .

Monitoring suction and pressure of the inlet and outlet is critical in keeping the many hoses flowing properly.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, m-mman said:

Looks early. . . . Vacuum - pressure. . . . . ???   

My head is filled with thoughts of the control panel on a Fire Engine/pumper. . . . .

Monitoring suction and pressure of the inlet and outlet is critical in keeping the many hoses flowing properly.

A lot of retard gauges I found on the net are for sprinkler systems.

I first thought supercharger boost, but no car has 30 lbs of boost. 

Only earl cars Ruxton and Cord, but the gauges don't match.

Edited by roysboystoys (see edit history)

So , next question. This is a Compound gauge ,normally used in refrigeration or Pumps.
This gauge looks like it's always been in this case. Why would they need a compound gauge in 1920's car?
Vacuum fuel tank ? Supercharger? Water pump/ cooling system?
Hmmmm?