Odometer gear replacement

There may already be a thread on this, but because I just got done doing this job I figured I'd add a little input. I've taken many of these speedometer units apart over the years, so I already knew what I was doing. However, I came upon a new revelation that might just help some of you!

Every time I've taken one of these apart, I have taken the needle off. Well, as you can guess, that messes up the calibration and it takes some fiddling to get it right again. This time I couldn't manage to get the needle off and because I wasn't planning on refinishing the needle (it wasn't faded) I really didn't want to push my luck. 

What I found was that once you take the head loose from the face plate, there is just enough play to let you get it out of its aligning tab and rotate it so you can get the motor board screws loose. Typically they are blocked by a piece of plastic and if you don't want to mess with that, the only other way is to take the head completely off of the face by removing the needle. 

Once the motor board is loose, you can fiddle it out and there is enough space to pull the core and the old gear out. Make sure you clean all of the old bits of the old broken gear out. Once that is done, you can put it all back together...and you never mucked with the needle!

In all the years that I have been replacing these odometer gears for myself and other TC owners, I have never removed the speed indicating needle.

I never even thought to do so. 

• Like 1

On 6/9/2021 at 8:31 PM, Hemi Dude said:

In all the years that I have been replacing these odometer gears for myself and other TC owners, I have never removed the speed indicating needle.

I never even thought to do so. 

Interesting. Before I figured this out, that was the only way I could ever get to the actual odometer. My past endeavors were in order to refinish the needle itself on the typical Chrysler cluster as the orange fades over time. I've also switched colors on them, too. With GPS being on every smart phone, now it's not bad to reset it, but in the past it was kind of a pain.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...