430 rebuild questions

60s GM Fan

So as I mentioned in a previous post my 430 needs a rebuild due to low compression in #1 and #4 cylinders.  The classic car shop that I purchased my car from has said they'll complete the rebuild and split the cost with me to get it done less what it took me to travel home (45 min flight back to Phoenix).  Does anyone here have any pointers I can provide the shop to ensure this is done properly?  I've asked the owner of the shop to ensure that its 100% factory correct and to spec but I want to also ensure that its done correctly to avoid any future issues.  

Much is dependent on the current condition that is accessed after the teardown and inspection. If you feel you have to give the shop pointers, that's already a concern. I hope the shop has a good honest reputation for doing quality work otherwise, they have a vested interest in cutting corners on the build. Ask them how many 430/455 Buick engines they have rebuilt.

Very difficult to monitor a build when you can't stop in person and see what they are doing.

Unless I knew the shop had a solid reputation as an engine builder, I'd be hesitant to let them do the work even if its going to save you some money. I've seen too many shoddy rebuilds by supposed professional shops. What happens if you get the car back and something is wrong? Now you have a very difficult claim to settle long distance.

Always best to deal with someone local unless you are using a well known Buick engine builder. 

If you are going to have them do it, the first step is for them to take it apart and access current condition.

• Like 1

I was in touch with the owner today regarding the rebuild.  I've been given assurances that it'll be documented and done right.  I'll fly back out in about 2 1/2 weeks and if I'm not happy I've been told I'll get a refund.  I have my fingers crossed as everything else is pretty nice.

• Like 1

So just so I'm educated better on the Buick engines (I'm mainly a Cadillac guy and this is my first Buick since my 54 Special) what type of compression readings should I be getting once this engine is rebuilt?  What's the typical vacuum readings?  Oil pressure?