Transmission leak

Hello new member here. Also, I just bought a 1925 DB series 116. I drove it 70 miles to its new home. After parked for an hour I see a blob of oil under the transmission. I’m new to vintage cars and am unsure of what to do next. Is this a common problem or should they not leak at all? Do I need new seals? What oil do I use? Is it easy to drop the trans?  

Edited by GhostDog (see edit history)

Hi GhostDog,

Welcome to the Dodge Brothers Fellowship / Ownership.

Oil leaks are part and parcel of Dodge Brothers ownership. You will find that these cars are not to be compared with our modern vehicles in this respect. It would pay you to clean the area of concern to be sure where the drip is coming from and if a loose drain plug or connection is to blame this can be tightened however the design is such that there are many areas where oil can escape. The gearbox bearings were open originally providing an escape route there both front and rear. The rear of the crankshaft also has a tendency to weep with this oil drip coming out of the bottom of the bell housing. First check the source if you can and then make a drip tray.

😊

Welcome GhostDog and congrats on the purchase.  Before you start taking things apart, it could be that the previous owner put regular 80W gear oil in the tranny and it will leak more readily that the thick stuff that should be in there.  Many people use 600W Steam Cylinder oil or something similarly thick (some use STP oil treatment).  There are many threads that focus on this subject in this forum.  The thicker oil is much less prone to leaking out and even if it does, it will be a much smaller leak.  Maybe I'm lucky but my car has no tranny or engine rear oil seal leaks (knock on wood).  The rear axle does leak though, from the brake rod holes (the rods that pivot when lever arm is pulled by brake pedal rods).  

Post some photos of your car when you get a chance...

Oh,

Second part of the question, we use Penrite 250 oil.

To remove the gearbox the rear axle needs to be pulled back (once the rear spring hangars are disconnected) to slide the torque tube backoff the universal joint.

Care needs to be taken to support the gearbox keeping it level so as not to damage the clutch when sliding it back.

Is it grease or lube? The u-joint housing gets filled with grease and it could be leaking. For now, buy a drip pan or two. :)