housand identification help please

jerrybev

hi

Restorers like to use these housands to speed up their old vehicles going down the highway.  Numbers shown in picture 3.

I believe  it was removed  for use either in a 1960s mustang or for use in a 1947-1959 chevy truck.  Can anyone verify what it will fit or what brand and type vehicle it came from?  can anyone please confirm anything about this housand?  See the numbers in the casting.  Are there any additional  part numbers usually on the underside?  I have not cut the wires that are holding it securely on its base.  Thank you for any help.

sincerely

Jerry Whitfield

winston salem NC

336-749-5922  jerrybev1@yahoo.com or answer here. 

thankyou

housand large.JPG

housand large 2.JPG

numbers large.JPG

Ford for sure, so probably from the Mustang. Fits lots of Fords from this era.  Not very valuable unless it is a  " posi / limited slip " type differential. 

It's a 1966 and older 8" housing , so nothing very exciting unless limited slip.   If you have any axles handy insert them into the side gear splines, if they turn in opposite directions with the drive shaft yoke stationary its non limited slip. Otherwise hold one side gear stationary and turn the driveshaft yoke, if the other side gear turns backwards to what the main gear and diff housing turns also non limited slip.

martin:

thank you.  I found the Ford numbers which I am attaching in 2 photos.  Numbers seem to be? C40W4218 A?  Can you p lease view the numbers and see if you can decode these numbers for me?

thank you

Jerry Whitfield

differential numbers not enlarged.JPG

numbers enlarged.JPG

But bear in mind that 1962 date is simply when that type of casting was introduced. As far as I know that design remained in production up to 1966. You have to find the casting date and decode it to figure out when that particular casting was poured.  The date code is much smaller and of a different form than casting numbers. Lots of further info on google . The link you have provided Coyote spells this all out.

Ford would continue to use the same casting numbers right up until a change to the actual casting was required and then the casting number would change. The same castings were often used for several years with no change in the casting number or part number.

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)
  • Like 1

hi

thank you for your time and help.  I have numbers shown in 2 photos I am attaching.  I am not totally certain but believe these numbers are:  C40W4218 A

I hope you can help me further with the information I need to describe it correctly in an ad to sell it.  What price would you suggest I put on it?

again, thank you for your help.

sincerely

Jerry Whitfield

differential numbers not enlarged.JPG

numbers enlarged.JPG

That number is just the part number of the ring gear. It is easier to just count the gear teeth to determine the gear ratio than to look up the part number.  Depending on how rusty the gears are they may not be usable.

If it is a limited slip unit it will probably be worth at least $150.00 or perhaps even more. If it is not limited slip I am afraid it is almost in the  scrap metal category , $20.00 or $25.00 if you are lucky.

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)

Limited slip will have a clutch pack. A normal run of the mill rear will have spider gears along side of the ring and pinion. If your unsure a photo of the other side would help. The gear set itself does not matter as the limited slip parts are in the carrier if so equipped. Dandy Dave! 

Edited by Dandy Dave (see edit history)

Also, The ratio is usually stamped in the gear set. It would read 4.10 -1, or 3.73 -1. or something similar. Some rear ends had a tag affixed to the out side. Some have the number of teeth also in number form. 11-44 or similar number. Divide the small number into the big number and you have the gear ratio. Dandy Dave.