Is this a Dodge?

Nevadablue

I’m 74 and my sister is 80. We are chasing our family history and she found this picture of my father in a scrapbook that my mom made. Above the photo, it says “about 1935”. 

I think this is a Dodge, but the strange hood and lack of spare on the fender are throwing me off. Was that hood an option? Was the continental kit an option? 

I am sure this wasn’t his car, but would like to know what it was. Dad would have been 19 in 1935. 

A21D7E5E-BA71-43DC-ADC8-99190540200B.jpeg

1 hour ago, Nevadablue said:

I’m 74 and my sister is 80. We are chasing our family history and she found this picture of my father in a scrapbook that my mom made. Above the photo, it says “about 1935”. 

I think this is a Dodge, but the strange hood and lack of spare on the fender are throwing me off. Was that hood an option? Was the continental kit an option? 

I am sure this wasn’t his car, but would like to know what it was. Dad would have been 19 in 1935. 

A21D7E5E-BA71-43DC-ADC8-99190540200B.jpeg

Regarding your question about the spare wheel. In that era, for the great majority of cars, a single spare mounted on the rear of the car was standard. Twin sidemounts were an option.

For 1934 there were four different lines of Plymouth cars and a large range of options available. In 1934 even the bumpers were an option on Plymouth - an extra $22.

The car here is a convertible coupe and it was only available in the PE line as far as I can see. Plymouth built 4,482 of them - out of total production of 225,000. 

The new price was $685 - plus, I presume, local and state taxes and shipping.

• Like 2

Thanks for that! 

Now my wife wants to know what color you guys think the car was. I just assumed black, but now I don’t know. It also appears to have some chrome (another option?) on the doors where your arm would lie when driving that neat rig. 

1 minute ago, Nevadablue said:

Thanks for that! 

Now my wife wants to know what color you guys think the car was. I just assumed black, but now I don’t know. It also appears to have some chrome (another option?) on the doors where your arm would lie when driving that neat rig. 

Take your pick - 1934 Color Codes - Plymouth Paint Cross-Reference (paintref.com)

It would be interesting to see what modern colourising technology makes of it.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 5/19/2021 at 8:12 PM, Nevadablue said:

Thanks for that! 

That 'reveal' on the body was painted a contrasting color, mostly to match up with the convertible top.  Tops from the factory were always a light canvas color.  Note that the 34 PE Plymouth was not a 'roadster' as it had roll up windows in the doors, what the Ford guys call a 'cabriolet'.  What differs from the Ford cabriolets is that the Plymouth windshield folds down for a complete 'topless' experience.  The knobs located at the base of the windshield posts can be loosened and the posts, along with the windshield, fold down. Like the rest of the 34 PE and PF Plymouths, the windows in the doors had both roll up windows and quarter vent windows.  With both windows in the closed position, a lever on the window frame can be moved, which allows both the vent and the regular window to be wound down into the doors.  Great original photo!

• Like 1