Lea Francis

I now have a mystery, those two magnetic "welder's friends" seen (in yesterday's photograph), have disappeared! 

I left the garage front door open while I went in for lunch yesterday and when I went back to finish the work, I had started that morning, they had disappeared!  I find it hard to believe that someone would have walked in and taken them without taking any of the other tools off my bench....

I wasted about an hour looking for them and again this morning I will have a "Big Tidy Up" to make sure that they have hidden themselves somewhere. We live at the end of a "Cul de Sac" so we have virtually no passing traffic with almost no people "just walking past".

Bernie j.

Bernie,

Great progress on the LeaF.  I, too, have experienced, on more than one occasion, "missing tool syndrome" only to find them sitting right in front of me or on top of something out in the open.  I find that a muttered stream of invective often causes the tool to magically reappear.  Another "joy of aging" thing, I imagine.  I hope that there really is a replacement engine available for the LeaF...that would be a major score for you.

Cheer up...we do not have lockdowns here in the US, just major outbreaks of Covid, especially in states that advocate for "freedom"...meaning not taking any precaution for Covid, for themselves or anyone else.  I suppose it is only a matter of time before one of our more "retro" states decide that speed limits and 'Stop" signs are also infringements on their "liberty".  Here on the Left Coast (California), we are in the middle of a hot, dry summer and fire season already underway.  In our town, we have had to reduce all water use by about 40%, with no irrigation.  We just drink more wine as we watch our gardens go brown.

Keep up the great work.  Looking like a fantastic project.

Cheers!

It is now 5.22 on Tuesday afternoon here in the land of "Down under," I would think that by this time tomorrow the body frame should be ready to lift off the chassis so that I can complete most of the welds holding it all together.

It may still require a little adjustment before I start  to look at fitting a "skin" on to it. I hope that someone has been taking a note of the time spent on all this. Not necessarily in hours but days should be sufficient.

I am not sure what the "Professionals" charge by the day but then I must take into account that I am a (nearly 85 year old) "pensioner".

That and I am having "fun"

24 hours later,  the whole point is that regardless of time or cost I am getting on and "doing something creative". No only that but I am enjoying the process. There again, I am saving a car that after 25+ years on neglect was on the verge of falling apart and becoming a pile of junk.  I am not really all that disappointed that I missed the chance of restoring it as a four door saloon. I am now glad that I have been instrumental in giving it a completely different future, that it has not gone to the scrap metal pile or been broken up for "spares".  I now have just a day or so more work on the "body frame".

I am still of two minds, do I buy another motor or do I just as easily repair and rebuild the original?

Bernie j.

• Like 1

However I am racing ahead yet again, my next task will be to lift the body frame off the chassis so that I can go over it and complete some of the welds which were inaccessible. Only then can I start to making panels to go onto the body frame. Days more work, especially if I am going to be able to do this without buying more aluminium sheet. Apart from the obvious savings, there is a certain amount of satisfaction to be had re-cycling the original LeaF's panels.  Only time will tell.

Bj.

Edited by oldcar (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Hello Chris,

Yes! as far as possible the original bonnet will be used, this will require some trimming to match the new scuttle. 

Perhaps even more so today, I attempt to incorporate as much of the original material as possible.

For example I do have the original front seats that after some esential re-working will be incorporated in the car.

Regarding paint and upholstery colours, I well attempt to move away from my usual off-white or green. 

Only time will tell.

Bernie j.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Yes Digger

The LeaF has gone off to greener pastures, hopefully I will not see it again. Right now all I have apart from our two (almost) modern cars is our faithful Lagonda Rapier. If I had half a brainI would leave it that way, At least until the New Year, who can tell what 2022 will bring?

BJ.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Now some time later, a long time in fact, the Leaf is long gone and I am happy to say that I currently do not have and I am not looking for another "Project" although that is only half true!

I do have a Bull-nose Morris a two seater, a replica of Cecil Kimber's Raworth Specials the cars (6) that became the fore-runner to MG's.RaworthSpecial.jpeg.14e08401f881c8d0ed7bb3d9462aabdf.jpeg

Edited by Rapier (see edit history)