Lea Francis

Thank you OCF, While it is a passing thought, I am not about to rush out and spend anything up to and possibly exceeding five or six thousand Aust$s on converting my Lea F to "KO Wire wheels". It seems that as an almost forgotten Marque, the value of my Leaf is almost negligible! Rarity is not always proportional with cash value. The minuscule amount of money that I have invested so far in the car is little more that its "Scrap value". 

My interest is mainly based on my own limited (one weekend) experience with a Connaught some years ago. While this car was an original "works racing car", it too had steel disc wheels. One thought is to build my LeaF as a replica of this car. The slim young man (in pale blue overalls) bending over the car in the first photograph and seen again in the third photo, almost entirely obscured, seated in the car is none other than myself.

Connaught020.jpg.3a0b83d95191e19a03f9bb8399d794bf.jpg

Edited by oldcar (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Bernie,

The Connaught body is attractive, and appears to be very lightweight. Aluminum panels?
You must have done very well with the car for it to have left a lasting favorable impression on you.

It seems you have your goals established for your LeaF.
And of course your artistic whim may take you down a different path.

Enjoy the process,

OCF (Chris).

Hello Chris

I actually had the use of the Connaught for just one (3 day) weekend but it did make a lasting impression on me!

I think that my over-all target is to get a car together and going. The one problem is that my LeaF has a beam axle front end, not that I think many of todays "critics" would know the difference.  I need to brush up on my aluminium welding if I am to patch together a "Connaught" body from the panels salvaged from the LeaF sedan.

First thing will be to get the debris  cleaned off the chassis and 12 inches cut out of it to bring it down to the catalogued 8'3" (sports) wheel-base. With that done I can make a start on the two seater body frame.

Looking at photographs it seems that these bodies were made in two halves linked together by the doors. 

I have now got the doors of the sedan and the roof ready to lift off. So despite our (mid winter) weather I am managing to get something done.

Bj.

Connaught-2.jpg.eeea728728616efea747f938f5a0ec63.jpgThank you OCF, 

My own leaning is towards the earlier all enclosing sports/racing body. This is based on the simple fact that I have memories of driving a borrowed Connaught all those years ago. Also it is questionable if the body you have chosen is any easier to construct than the one that I prefer. I guess that it all comes down to personal preference and to who is doing the actual work. When you look at it constructively there are less individual components than on the version with the four cycle type mudguards(Fenders). From memory the "Racing" car I had driven was even more "basic" than those shown above. The entire front section hinged across the front and the rear section lifting to the rear. Basically five parts. Front, tail, two doors and engine hatch. Depending on availability my car could have either a Connaught or a Lea Francis "badge".

This may depend on the availability of a Connaught badge.

Bernie j.

DSCN7338.jpg

Edited by oldcar
Remove one photograph (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Bernie,

With your experience at body construction, you probably have it mostly planned out in your head.

And you can borrow some compound curves from the LeaF. 
You should consider a “Bernie” badge as well.

I am looking forward to your progress posts.

Chris

Thank you Chris, at one time I used to use "An impecunious enthusiast" as a by-line but gave that up quite some time ago.It is some years since I wrote any serious magazine articles.

I still try to make a additional "ID" plate to go on the bulk head of my "completed" restorations. For one reason or another, I do not seem to have actually completed many cars recently.   I will endeavour to finish this one as it may well be my last.

Re using panels from the LeaF, I have just been thinking that the rear window opening is just about the right size for the air intake. That is really being "Back to Front!

To use that I would need to turn the radiator on its side. This in turn means moving the water filler cap too. That is still worth considering. I doubt that the finished car will be doing any "long distance drives" so direction of water flow should not be too critical.

Bernie j.

Perhaps if you repair the engine, first. Then you can decide later what you want to do with the body and chassis, or sell a running car, in need of a body restoration. 

Back at the start of this exercise one person contributed these words of wisdom.

Now some little time  later I feel that I should reply.

Perhaps ten or perhaps even five years ago I would have agreed BUT

Under todays world it seems that no one can be really interested in actually driving their "old car" anywhere. 

Right now here in Victoria we are permitted to drive to our nearest local shop to buy only sufficient to keep our body and soul together for only as long as absolutely necessary.

I have entertained myself this afternoon cleaning a lifetime of debris from the interior of the Lea F.

And now much of the debris has been removed includeing one interloper who had overstayed it welcome!

Tucked awaybehind one of the trim panels was this once handsome rat.

I have no idea how long it had been there but I have just finished the delightful job of removing it along with a pile of droppings ! 

At least it is now gone and I can move along with the job. Once again space to store all the body parts that I MAY yet decide to reuse is something of a problem.

NO! not these body parts!

Bj.

DSCN7341.jpg.c88480b48b1d342486c13e2f583ccbeb.jpg

Another day and I really have to make at least on important decision. 

Which way is my restoration/rebuild of the Leaf going, 

It seems that I have at least three choices. 
1. As a 2/4 seater "tourer" This is the softest of the options open to me and would appear the easiest.

2, As a traditional two seater retaining the original radiator etc and rear section. This will require 12 inches cut from the chassis and two doors "widened". 

3. As a "Competition two seater with the chassis shortened, the scuttle lowered and a new "nose and tail constructed" This would entail a completely new body based on the L2 Connaught.

This would also entail disposing of all the original body work and making a pair of new "bucket" seats. There is one more option.

This would mean building a two seater along the lines of the Connaught but retaining a lowered "Traditional" radiator and bonnet. In some ways this is the most attractive option but requiring potentially, the most expense. 
Something similar to the SS Jaguar special I built some years ago.

It may be just possible to lower the original radiator while still in its original location.

To my thinking this is the most attractive option. One way to simplify this would be to adopt a rear mounted "Slab" petrol tank. It would also involve new rear mudguards. Not unlike the Lagonda Rapier two seater

1159254854_VSCC4.jpeg.9e7277eaef47109b82caef36bd94c4f4.jpegDSCN6801.jpg.eb03612cbe31b3e8b81ca39e99999b90.jpg

1406866883_JaguaratPhillipIslandandArthursSeatHillclimb.1copy.jpeg.0ccce83849b09b787ff8af89e7156370.jpeg

Jaguar at Phillip Island and Arthurs Seat Hillclimb. 1 copy.jpeg

Hello Bernie,

The SS Jaguar Special and the Lagonda are beautiful. You could not go wrong using these as your inspiration for the LeaF.

The removal of the debris and bodies must feel like progress.

Also, if all your body options take the same chassis length, you can delay choosing a body style until the chassis is ready. But you certainly have defined your options. 

Hopefully, in the spring you will be allowed to participate in club events again, with your Lagonda.

Thanks for posting progress reports,

Chris

The main focus of our club activities these days is on road/touring events. This and we are hopeful that in another three years we will both still be fit and well enough to have one last trip (in 2024) to the UK and France with the Lagonda. With this in mind I need to make the right decision on just what format the LeaF should/will take.

I believe that this should be a sports-touring two seater. As well as shortening the wheel base by 12 inches there is another  12 to 18 inches, that can be removed from the rear of the car by adopting a slab (vertical) petrol tank with the spare wheel mounted, also vertical, behind it. At the front of the car, the traditional Radiator can be lowered by approximately 3 inches. This plus a fold flat windscreen could considerably change the character of the LeaF while retaining the 17 inch steel disc wheels. For comparison our Lagonda Rapier also has 17 inch wheels.

Bj

Meanwhile I  am still working away quietly on dismantling the saloon body in  preparation to starting work on the LeaF Special. It is amazing just how the hours disappear. Ot seems as though the only things that disappears faster are the 100mm  Angle Grinder "Cut-off blades.

Bj

With some luck I should have the Saloon body all but gone by the end of today. To me (at least) this well be real progress. While it "looked" OK this body was all but ready to fall apart.  Once it has gone I can start to clean up the chassis. In the process I will remove the fixed "Jacks" from the rear axle and cut off the excess overhang at the rear of the chassis proir to making a start on a new body frame using square tube steel. This is something that I do have some experience and enjoy doing. It appeals to my creative side. But first back to work.

BjDSCN7347.jpg.2761f8c2ce76ad27e2ec087bc01545f5.jpgDSCN7346.jpg.d365e5df7e5ab070dc9e6b533fa6b964.jpg

From the day you wrote about taking a nap under the car the short lady has been looking over my shoulder while I check your postings. Being a hairdresser and concerned about how your wife can keep her hair good, she likes the green one with the full windscreen and the shinny radiator. 

1. Below is a copy of todays email to another Australian Enthusiast who bought a Leaf Saloon similar to mine from someone in New Zealand. 
  2. "Having gone through the unenviable task of removing the body from my LeaF. i can only hope that the body on your car is not full of the unpleasant surprises that my car has revealed. To have attempted to restore what was a basically sound “looking” body  I have discovered that the entire body frame is almost totally full of rust. There is not a single tube that could be re-used!
  3. I am now left with no other option but to build a new body. 
  4. This will now become a “Sports Special” two seater. Having gone this far I will do a “proper job” and cut twelve inches out the chassis to reduce it to the catalogued length for a “roadster”.
  5. Please do feel free to come and see for yourself. 
  6. I still have to decide what to do with the engine.
  8. I just hope for his sake that he has a better result than I have had with my Leaf.
Edited by oldcar
Match type size. (see edit history)

Bernie,

Fantastic progress with the body removal. Maybe you will have a market for some of the original panels in the other LeaF enthusiast you found. Looks like you are well on the way to your special. I hope the engine does not present too big an issue. Have you tried turning it over by hand? Any indication of the condition of the transmission?

Cheers! And continued success!

Regardless there is still two or three days work to finish removing the remaining parts of the body.

I believe that there may be a spare engine available but will know more soon.

I must admit that at this stage of my life I must be mad to even be thinking about a total restoration of this magnitude!  This is not what I set out to be doing but having started, I am not about to admit defeat! 
With the steel disc wheels it lends itself to the Connaught style of body which will entail some ourside help from someone with an "English Wheel" for shaping compound curves, something I have always tried to avoid.

I may be able to get around this by using some of the original panels and mudguards. But that requires a lot of cutting, shutting and welding. Only time will tell. I will talk with one or two of my Professional Coach-builder friends.

Meanwhile I feel quite sick at the prospect. I can now see that by  deciding to go down this path that there are months and months of work ahead. 

The only other option would be to bail out now but that is not really practicable. 

Once I have finished "cleaning up" the chassis I can make a start on a body frame.

Please don't go away.

Bj.

Connaught-11.jpg

Connaught-10.jpg

1949_Connaught_L2_325.jpg

Bernie,

You seem to need a project to keep yourself busy, so if you finish this one too quickly you will just be in search of another. So months and months of work is just what you need!

I am looking forward to seeing that chassis cleaned up; and what ever body you decide to construct.

Keep those posts coming,

Chris

Bernie,

I hadn't seen one in any of your postings and with your plans to remake the LeaF, I was going to ask if you had an English Wheel. I know what it takes to fix a compound curve by hand and now that I know you don't have a wheel, I'm even more impressed by your coach building skills. 

Thank you Digger

I have spent a lifetime working around bodies that do not contain any compound curves. It can be done but it all takes time. I keep saying that this will be my last restoration but that does not mean I have a bottomless purse. I still have to be perhaps even more mindful of this.

I still have to careful not to over capitalise my restorations. I remain an "Impecunious Enthusiast".

Bj.

Hello OCF, Chris

You asked about the "Jacks" I am sorry but I do not know the American term for the "Lifting devices" used for raising the car to facilitate changing a wheel in the case of a puncture or "flat tyre".

With a number of "Quality" English Motor cars made during the 1930's, 40's and 50"s these were "built-in" under the rear springs with the lifting screw operating shaft projecting si that it was easily accessible. This accessory it fitted to the rear of the LeaF as seen in the attached photograph. The idea being that you did not need to climb under the car to use these, perhaps risking soiling the driver's clothes. In effect these added to the unsprung weight of the car.

DSCN7352.jpg.62b703f656b46138c03f4c9623a15a9e.jpg

Bernie,

Thanks for the explanation and photos of the jacking mechanism, we do use a “jack” to raise the car to change the tire in America; not all women are strong enough to lift the vehicle high enough to allow the man to put a rock under the axle. Being of the lowly peasant class I had no knowledge of such a convenient devise mounted to a vehicle, other than those mounted to a large recreational vehicle to level it at a campground. Your photos show them clearly, now that I know what to look for. Is it typical that these jacks were only mounted to the rear? Probably due to the large overhang. 
Hopefully my humor has not offended anyone,

Chris

Hello OCF.

Humour is always welcome as are constructive comments.Today I have finally finished removing the last vestiges of the body so from now on it should be a reasonably straight forward job.

I need to do some "house keeping" and tidy up all the "stuff I need to keep". Some time soon I need to remove the motor and dismantle it to see just how bad the damage inside is. But I need to clear my bench first.

What a way ro spend a Sunday ?

Bj.

DSCN7354.jpg.0c42c6441c728a31ad4c69a64e0bc556.jpgDSCN7353.jpg.7b65a1dd9ab6698b6d6211018f5f25a9.jpgIndeed what a way to spend a Sunday! Having put in several hours more work on the LeaF It is now to a stage where I should be removing the motor and gearbox.  I can make a start by removing the gearbox and taking the cylinder head and the sump off so I can see just how much damage has been done to the engine and what it will require to fix it. Given that the speedo reads 42,000 miles (from new) I will be interested to see just what sort of over all condition it is in.

These two (night time) photographs do not fully show just how far the LeaF has progressed.

Bj.

Another day and the same old rubbish, perhaps it is my age talking but I cannot help but wonder, "Why am I once again getting myself involved with something that means a whole lot of work with little or no reward. Does anyone care?" 

Once  again I have a pile of rubbish cluttering up my front garden. Will I ever learn.

One thing is certain, even IF I offered to give this "car" away free. No one would be stupid enough as to want it or to take it away.

Bernie j.

Hello Bernie,

The salt air got the best of your LeaF, not much left for the scrap man.

Your progress is more than admirable.

The chassis does appear to be solid, but a lot of wire brushing in your future.

Thank you for sharing your progress; your fan club is watching.

Best regards,

Chris

Thank you for your continued interest, It is all slowly coming apart, It is time consuming because currently I am taking the doors apart so I can save the sheet metal and take the frames apart so they will go into the bin.

It all takes time but saves it in the long term. I am also attempting to save the door furniture(latches, handles, etc.

I may get to use some of it in the future.

Bj

While I am working my way through all the LeaF's problems, I seem to be saving the worst until last. This is nor really intentional, it is simply a matter of accessibility . This brings me to that hole in the side of the crankcase, while the whole story, if you will forgive the pun, well not be fully revealed until I have the motor out and on my bench with the cylinder head and sump removed, todays photograph reveals that the big-end cap has come off completely and must have made quite a loud noise in the process.

Apart from the obvious damage just how much more still remains to be seen.  There is also quite a large amount of debris that has also collected in the sump, presumably since the "blow-up". Todays photograph reveals the the bigend cap had come completely undone. 

I still have some tidying up of the body remains so with luck, I should be able to concentrate on the motor sometime early next week.

If it can be regarded as any consolation, it appears as though the crankshaft is fully counter balanced.

I am reasonably confident that with a large patch to cover the "hole" that I should be able to reclaim this, the original motor.

From what I can see, it appears that it was one of the "Big-end bolts" that had failed, not the actual con-rod that had broken.

Bj.

DSCN7356.jpg.df7a4f8ab3881dacd4eb2b06ab582cf0.jpg

Meanwhile the LeaF's body is slowly comming apart and the flat (aluminium) panels put to one side for future use. The rusted steel components are being cut up into pieces small enough to go out with the rubbish. While all this is time consuming it is better and easier to make use of our local council's waste removal system.DSCN7358.jpg.f8c5fa23d78671ef08ec45e432470831.jpgDSCN7357.jpg.31604197c3ce5556f70a6da742525020.jpgDSCN7359.jpg.5f433945f7dd02e8028658e605927531.jpg

Hello Bernie,

The car had a lot of rust under that lovely aluminum body.

Do you have to cut up all the pieces to fit in you trash bin?

I am curious to see the engine as you tear into it on the bench.

I check for your post every day.

Chris

Hello Bernie,

It would be great if I were able to just pop on over when you needed a hand.

I am currently doing just that for a longtime friend. He is just 45 miles away. We call it Motor-Monday. He has had a kitcar in his basement for 20+ years. Our commitment to Mondays ensures progress.

Chris

Edited by OldCarFan (see edit history)

That is one of the good things about Australian Houses, very few have basements. Our house is built on a Concrete slab flat on the ground. We more or less stopped building our houses with cellars or basements about 100 years ago.

Despite some similarities Australia and the USA are very different and our life style here in Australia, we like to think is unique. Until you visit you would be hard pressed to understand just how free of restrictions we are. 

Right now there are some people who complain about our present (Co-vid) restrictions on travel etc. They just do not know just how good our life is! They even complain when the Government pays them money to stay at home. People in some countries do not know what it is like to live to be 85+ years old. Here people complain if they do not live until they teach 95 or 100.

AND another day spent sorting out all sorts odd "stuff" for the LeaF. I have now stripped all the old upholstery off the front seat frames and moved them out of the garage and into the garden shed. I have decided that I definitely do not want or need the rear seats This means that the chassis is about to loose 12 inches from the wheel base so IT will now definitely become a two seater. I now need to clear a shelf or two take all the LeaF engine "Bits" as I take it apart. I am very curious to see just what damage there is other than the "hole" in the crankcase. 

Today photograph of the Lea Francis Show it waiting for our next "hard garbage" collection, early next week. The sad part is that it is not even worth going to the trouble of sorting out the AluminiumIt's scrap value just does not justify going to all the trouble to remove any of the steel nust and bolts etc, the scrap merchants will not even look at stuff like this which may have a mixture of metal .DSCN7367.jpg.9fa1b730bde2442248bebc4505b88adb.jpg

• Like 1