Flathead Intake

406mac

The guys at The Flat Spot supplied more information...it is for a front mounted supercharger....the large hole on the underside is ducted to a supercharger....the front is an air vent.....the carbs work as usual.....but I still don't quite understand how it all works.....

front mount.jpg

• Like 1

Yes....not a flathead...that was the only picture I could find that showed this type of set up...I guess the manifold could be used for any type of motor but the carbs are the early Ford 3 bolt design...Thanks Mac

Maybe I'm looking at this manifold backwards?  the supercharger would pressurize the air box where the carbs are located and the fuel/air mix  would then be delivered to the intake manifold through the large opening in the front?   The carbs are mounted backwards on the manifold? DSCF0932.JPG.c677f62a58691b898425caa29f4c6632.JPG.... 

DSCF0932.JPG

Thi thing baffles me' I cannot see how it would work. I the blower is piped into that box somehow it would blow through the carb backwards. I l also cannot see how it bolts to a flathead (Ford I assume). In the picture of the blown V8 it looks like a Potvin front drive. The carb are mounted to an airbox and the air fuel mixture is pulled through and compressed in the blower and forced through the two large tube and into the engine. There is no need for a pop off valve in the box since there is always negative pressure at that point

yes....the box cant be pressurized by the blower as the fuel mix would blow out of the carbs....it is not necessarily for a flathead...the round hole on the base could bolt to a supercharger and to any engine  with some plumbing and the correct intake.....the example in the photo is much easier to figure out.....Maybe that it is why this one ended up at a swap meet?....