JWO-Anyone else offended?

Art161

Art,Duane's choice of words were unfortunate and the Editor of the club magazine is aware of the situation. I am sure he will be working with Duane to make sure this does not happen again. However, this is another case of please "do not throw the baby out with the bathwater" as Duane's column has always been unusual and interesting. Duane is an extremely strong proponent of "Buy American" and I am sure it colored his choice of words.

This is my opinion, but I think we are all too sensitive and things must be taken in context. I come from an ethnic/religious minority so I have been the victim of insensitive remarks. When we start asking for resignations, suspensions, fines etc. I think we are going to far. I for one think whether it is Trent Lott, Shaq,Reggie White, etc. we need to accept apologies and get on with things.

Like it or not, you're not going to change Duane Allen. My experience with him is that if confronted he will be diplomatic up to a point, and if pushed past that point he's going to clear the air.

I have learned to let stuff roll off my back. Being a Southerner with a pronounced Southern accent, I constantly hear insulting remarks about "ignorant redneck" and "Gomer Pyle" from people who have moved into this area and came in with a chip on their shoulder towards the natives. Used to irk me, but now I realise I was here first. So now when they mock "Y'all" I laugh and say "Youse Gies" back at 'em. They've learned that maybe they sound as ridiculous to me as I do to them.

Tolerance is key here. Being professionally offended never did anyone any good.

I know nothing about the artical and I realize there is a place for everything and not. Also becoming a lot more of a nationalist in my older age and trying times for me and country I may make political statements that may offend some and thats why I'm addressing this and I'm not aiming at any country or culture in piticular. What do you think the people in other countrys have to say about Americans ? I believe fight the big fight and dont trifel over the little things. Theres way to many huge issues now environment, political, cultural , economical , population , confronting us to be worried about being "politically correct." All this politically correct stuff has left us standing politely smileing as the rest of the world is running us over making out well on our generiousity and all the things that many a good American died for in all the past wars. I dont think this is the America that the boys believed in when they fell on all the battle fields that made this country. They died to free the rest of the world from tyranny so they could advance themselfs. Follow our example. Do we have respect ? We are loathed , time to stop feeling sorry for those that wont help themselfs.

We rent this land from those who follow

its not all ours to eat and swallow

Save the American dream for the American children.

SCG

Mr,Art161...I happened to be around when the Japs bombed Pearl Harbor, brutalized millions of helpless people, held that little party called the Bataan Death March,

Rammed Kamikaze's into our ships killing thousands upon thousands of young American's mother's sons instead of surendering even though they knew they had lost the war....I can go on and on with this history lesson sir...

But let me remind you....they NEVER APPOLOGIZED for any of it...NEVER...and it ain't even in their history books. Do some research on your precious little friends before you take some holier than thou stance with me!!!!!

I haven't posted here on the AACA forums since the "registration requirement" took effect a short while back. But after reading what "Allen1" wrote above, I felt compelled to register and then post. There is an expression..."the sins of the father". I for one have never subcribed to it...that is, the notion that people need to apologize for the terrible things their ancestors did. The Japanese hold no particular distinction when it comes to historical atrocities...if we are going to start going back 50 years or more (or lets say a few hundred), then there aren't going to be a lot of people left NOT owing an apology for something their ancestors may have done

That said, I am not too thin-skinned. I've laughed at my share of ethnic jokes, for example. I think they are pretty harmless as long as they are told out of a sense of the absurd, and there is no hatred behind them. But I perceive A LOT of hatred behind the remarks above. There is nothing funny about them. Quite frankly, they sicken me.

My Grandfather is 95 years old, and served in the Army from 1935 to 1960. He fought in Europe, and later served during the American occupation of Japan. While I was growing up, his house was filled with beautiful Japanese works of art he acquired while there, including a painting of the Emperor's estate which hangs in my home today. I have never heard him use the term "J-p". And while he never did buy anything other than an American car, I am certain that it was out of a "support your own" rather than a resentful mentality. Its a mentality I share, by the way.

A minor "slip" is one thing. But if "Allen1" is in fact the same Duane Allen who writes the JWO column, then I have to say I won't miss reading him (seems I let my OCA membership lapse last year, but that's another story).

Scott and Glenn, I think you pretty well said it all. Duane will not change and I know there are more like him. Although my father fought against the Japanese, he never wanted to discuss it. I, myself understand as well that every race has committed atrocities, "We" certainly did against the Indian's and African Americans but there are so many races and religions that have been victims as well as perpetraters.

I like Duane. He has a deep passion for the hobby and has done a lot of good for our club and the museum. I do recognize his background and his point of view although I do not subscribe to it. I feel pretty confident that our editor will look at all articles to determine how appropriate they are and hopefully this will be the end of the discussion.

Scott...come back to the club!

• 3 weeks later...

I might be a little late in finding this post as I haven't visited this part of the forums in a while, but I had some comments from my own experiences as chapter newsletter editor and a newsletter editor for a non-GM car club too.

When I first started writing and later editing our NTBCA newsletter, I knew I would be dealing with a varied audience with respect to ethnicity, religion, and other issues. I have always tried to temper my comments such that no one would be offended by anything in my publications. I felt that was my responsibility as editor and was also empowered to also screen all articles and input for publication in the same manner.

We always solicited input from members on their car projects and related technical articles which would be of benefit to anyone who might read the publication. One member contributed an article on the pitfalls of putting a Chrysler 440 in a Dodge Dart/Plymouth Valiant vehicle. He had been there and "done that" so he had some good comments. In general, it was a very good article and mentioned many of the things the magazine articles didn't mention or allude to. Only problem was that this gentleman tended to use words that had "ck" in them to emphasize certain issues. Many people DO talk this way and I have heard more younger people use these words in their normal language with others, BUT I felt it was my responsibility to not contribute to that situation so I carefully went through and substituted equally strong language, but using normal words and descriptions, for those "ck" words. No content was changed, just how it was worded.

At that time, we mailed the newsletter to other chapters and I also knew that we had members with young children that were similarly intense in the car hobby as were their parents (for this particular corporation's vehicles). I didn't want them to find out about these words and usage from the newsletters I published (as an elected officer fo the club). Therefore, I did what I did and went on. I regretted I had to make those wordage alterations, but I did it for what I perceived to be the good of the club and the image it projected to others.

From what I've read of the "Jap" reference, it probably would have been acceptable to use "oriental import vehicle" instead and not have changed the content or message of the writer. I will concur that while it might be showing too much sensitivity or fear of offending someone, IF someone who didn't know this contributor picked up the club magazine and saw those comments, they could possibly suspect that the whole club mirrored this person's orientation and then it could become a "marketability issue" for the club. I totally respect the orientations of the contributor and understand his orientations, but those of us who are editors should, I believe, also consider how our publications help the club to market itself to non-members and the general public also. In that orientation, any words or language which might offend or put the club in an unfavorable light should be screened and altered (without affecting the content and "message").

I do not make these comments as a scolding of the existing magazine editor by any means as I feel the editor made an appropriate judgment call at the time with the information and knowledge of the contributor. Every situation is different and requires such judgment calls by the editor--plain and simple. Nor do I desire that anyone start any dialogue that the editor acted inappropriately by not altering the words. I might add that some sort of disclaimer on these contributions (as to whose orientations are presented, etc.) might be advisable if it isn't already there. This deal is over and done and can't be changed, but can be used as a learning tool for the future.

I also recall that CAR AND DRIVER made a comment in a "short take review" of a 1990s Olds Delta 88 (after the 98 was discontinued) that the prime customers of these Delta 88s "remembered Pearl Harbor". Several messages in that short description . . .

I view the situations were some groups desire to hold current generations responsible for the ill deeds or indiscretions of past generations as inappropriate and harmful. By doing so, it seems they only perpetrate the past deeds with their own current actions. History is one thing, but "baggage" is another.

Best thing we can do is to make sure that "today" and "tommorrow" are as good as they can be for everyone and to make the world a better place because we're here. There will be some bumps in the road, but as long as we're pointed in that direction, things can be better.

Just wanted to add my experiences on this situation.

Enjoy!

NTX5467