For Sale: 1950 Chrysler Windsor Newport 2dr Hardtop -"100% Original & Complete"- North Salinas, CA - Not Mine

For sale on Craigslist: 1950 Chrysler Windsor Newport 2-door Hardtop in North Salinas, CA  -  $12,500  -  Call Paul:  831 737 86 three eight 

Link: https://monterey.craigslist.org/cto/d/salinas-1950-chrysler-windsor-newport/7301538518.html

Seller's Description:

1950 Chrysler Windsor Newport 2-door Hardtop

• condition: good
  • cylinders: 6 cylinders
  • transmission: other
  • odometer: 44,000
  • title status: clean
  • I Will Not Answer E-Mails, that's why I Post my Phone Number

FOR SALE, 1950 Chrysler Windsor Newport 2 Door Hard Top. Looks, Runs, and Drives Great. Vehicle is 100% Original and Complete. Pagoda Cream Paint. All Glass, Stainless. and Chrome are in Great Shape. All Lights and Original Radio work, Great Heater. Two Turn Roll Down Front Windows. Flathead Spitfire six cylinder that runs Excellent, Fluid Drive Transmission shifts Great, Front Tires are Brand New 2 1/2" whitewalls, Rear are Semi New 2 1/2" whitewalls. New Brakes. New Shocks, Leaf Springs, Rebuilt Rear End. Have all parts to rebuild front end. There were only 9925 Newports Built in 1950, so it is pretty rare for a 71 year old car. Exceptional Survivor That Runs, Drives, and Looks Excellent. Interior is intact, but needs to be redone, comes with 8 yards of Tartan Fabric for the inserts. Headliner and Visors are Great. Clean Title. $12,500. If Ad is Posted I still Have It, so Please Don't Ask. "Cash or Cashiers Check In Hand In Person Only". I Do Not Need or Want Help Selling This Car. Thanks

image.png.85fb16407abfe70a91e54321bfbb25b1.png

image.png.f45b572d73b9a984df8aebc77e15bf5b.png

image.png.6e96bc6c59c02488a03f957052529205.png

image.png.8d716803338c1255eb918c11d08feab9.png

image.png.437bfdf01644fac4486684ad77f98a0c.png

image.png.78d0c66eb6c46a4e8546fbc9ebcbb9f6.png

image.png.2a7f9e53fa44d81c5bc5ec550d3b6741.png

image.png.df5a6de8fa67ed6ea1c079fc1cc47a76.png

Edited by 6T-FinSeeker (see edit history)
  • Like 2

• 6T-FinSeeker changed the title to For Sale: 1950 Chrysler Windsor Newport 2dr Hardtop -"100% Original & Complete"- North Salinas, CA - Not Mine

One thing Chrysler got wrong with this car is that when you roll down the rear windows you have a nice polished/ chrome detail that the window rolls up into.  But the doors have the chrome attached to the top of the window so when you roll down your window your left with what looks like a "missing" piece of trim and a void.  It is very pronounced when both windows are down.

And it is not a fluid drive transmission but the M6 "semi auto" with the fluid coupler. It is basically a 4 speed (some say 6 with 2 gears in reverse as well) with either a hi gear or low rear selection. Easily mistaken for a 3 on the three but instead where 2nd is ,is LOW with two "semi automatic" shift points and where 3rd is, is HIGH with 2 "semi automatic" shift points. At a certain RPM /speed you just lift your foot off the gas and wait for the CLUNK to let you know you shifted between the two gears in that range selected. The fluid coupler allows you to come to a stop without using the clutch.  You do need to use the clutch to shift between high and low ranges or just keep in high range with a slower take off. Mine down shifts automatically at around 8 MPH to the lower gear in high range when approaching a stop and letting off the gas at 16 mph during acceleration will shift it to high / high.  I have never attempted to confirm that there is 2 speeds in reverse but rumor says there is. Trans take SAE 10 oil. It keeps up with traffic very well but so much of the country doesn't respect or know how old cars operate that at times during a hill climb that shift point can lag under load and not shift into high high at the 16 mph point so you have to try again and not overrev it being stuck in low high which can have a tailgater in your trunk as you lose speed on the incline.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Brooklyn:

That is one of the best and most accurate descriptions of the M6 transmission I have ever read.  So many people are confused by it -- which is very understandable.  I had a '48 Windsor 4-door for many years, and never had any problems with the trans.  I love the fact that the pedal pad on the clutch pedal has the words "Safety Clutch" embossed on it!  The marketing folks were trying to figure out how to turn a liability into an asset.  Chrysler did not have a full automatic, but at least they had a "Safety Clutch!"  Not like those dangerous GM cars with no clutch at all! 😄

• Like 2
  • Haha 1