64 Seat Belt Project

Vin63

The pandemic put my '64 Super Wildcat project on hold for quite awhile, but I did get one of the interior items done. I spent a lot of time tracking down parts here and there to cobble together enough hardware for a set of front and rear seat belts. I work with a great chome plater and I'm a dealer rep for DJ Safety/Deist Safety, and they both helped me with chroming the hardware parts (buckles, tabs, etc.), and I was able to track down some pea soup color webbing (which turned out to be a lot tougher to find than I expected) that DJ Safety sewed together for me - and used the original Brown-Line tags. 

20200914_162711-1~2.jpg

1964-buick-riviera-super-wildcat6.jpg

Edited by Vin63 (see edit history)
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

OMG, very nice interior and you went the extra step with those seat belts! That is the last detail for my '63s interior and I gave up on it (for now). Not sure about 1964 but it appears seatbelts were black only in '63, mine being Brownlines as well.

I see you have belt mounted retractors as well.

I found and Industrial Supply place that does slings and cargo nets. They will do my seat belts if I supply the HW.

After seeing your results, it has me thinking . . . .

Thanks for posting.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, XframeFX said:

OMG, very nice interior and you went the extra step with those seat belts! That is the last detail for my '63s interior and I gave up on it (for now). Not sure about 1964 but it appears seatbelts were black only in '63, mine being Brownlines as well.

I see you have belt mounted retractors as well.

I found and Industrial Supply place that does slings and cargo nets. They will do my seat belts if I supply the HW.

After seeing your results, it has me thinking . . . .

Thanks for posting.

Thanks! Yeah, the retractors the previous owner installed are coming out. My old '63 (I was the second owner) I sold a few years ago had the navy blue leather interior and a set of navy blue webbing Brown-Line seat belts. 

`63 seat belts were available in aqua, black, blue, gray, red, rose, saddle, and sandalwood. At some point in time, I have had `63 belts in 4 of those colors.

Vin, I dont recall ever seeing the loose part of the Brownline tag you pictured, even on NOS `64 Brownlines? Are those tags reporo`s?

Thanks,

Tom

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 1965rivgs said:

`63 seat belts were available in aqua, black, blue, gray, red, rose, saddle, and sandalwood. At some point in time, I have had `63 belts in 4 of those colors.

Vin, I dont recall ever seeing the loose part of the Brownline tag you pictured, even on NOS `64 Brownlines? Are those tags reporo`s?

Thanks,

Tom

The single-sided stitched tags at the mounting tabs are the FMVSS DOT tags.