LED bulbs in turn signals

First Buick

New to this Forum as I recently purchased a 1941 Buick.  Has anyone replaced the regular bulbs in their tail/stop lights and turn signals with LED bulbs?  I understand the regular flasher needs to be replaced with an LED compatible flasher.  Is this correct?  Any other info on this topic will be appreciated.  Thanks.

Welcome to the forum!  You will find that you have joined a very congenial and helpful group.  Please tell us more about your car, and post some pictures.  We love pictures!

I have replaced a lot of the bulbs in my '41 with LEDs, as have many others on the forum.  I had also read that the flasher would need to be replaced, and I in fact purchased a new flasher that was offered by the outfit that supplied the bulbs.  However, it turned out that my old school flasher still worked fine with the LEDs.  I'm not sure why this is the case.

Here's a link to a post by Matt Harwood about doing the conversion for brake lights, tail lights, and directional signals.  (As a '41 owner, you will inevitably get to know Matt on the forums because he is our resident authority on that year.) (Click on the arrow in the upper right corner to go directly to the post.)

The LED conversion is particularly helpful with the dash lights and turn signal indicators on the dash because the incandescent bulbs are so dim.  However, you may not want to attempt that because getting at the bulbs is bit tricky without pulling the instrument panel, and pulling the panel is a big job.  I converted those bulbs when I had the panel apart to install a new wiring harness.  I think at the time of the previous post from Matt, he hadn't quite figured out the dash light situation.  However, here's a later post where he got it sorted out.

Feel free to ask more questions if you have them, or send me a PM if you need more information.'

Neil

Edited by neil morse (see edit history)

Thanks for all the help.  It is a wealth of information for me.

As I said, I am new to this site and once I figure out how to do it, I will post a picture of my car.  I still get very frustrated trying to figure out how to get where I want to go and then solve the problem of getting there.   BCA doesn't want anything to do with forums as they belong to
AACAAACA has not responded to my request for help on how to navigate the forums.  I guess I will work it out over time.

Welcome to our Buick FORUM-

Getting your pictures into your post is really easy once you've tried it.

At the lower portion of the bow where you're entering your post,

see the area whioch include Drag files here to attach, or choose files...

Simply click on the "choose files...:

it will bring up your stored files on your computer

Bring up your own pics, click on what you want to share ,

and then hit "open", below

When you submit your post, the pic(s) should also be there

good luck

•  
  •  

1937 Buick at WWII Museum-1.jpg

6 hours ago, First Buick said:

.......AACA has not responded to my request for help on how to navigate the forums.  I guess I will work it out over time.

What is the question about navigating the forum?