Camber adjustment 51 Plymouth

Bob Pas

Long time AACA member. My Plymouth all of a sudden has a lot of tire ware on the left front tire inside. Have tried to adjust the camber by turning the essentric bushing both ways and it does not seem to make any difference at all. It appears to be rotating as it should but the caster angle stays between 3 and 4 deg negative. Can not get it to o or posative . Any advice greatly appreciated. Car has been showed for the last 30 years without any issue of uneven tire ware.

Thanks Terry and Rusty. I think I will disassemble the eccentric bushing where you make the adjustment and check to see if it is bad. At least I will be able to eliminate if that is the cause or not. The upper control arm shaft and pin and bushing package. This may be why I can make the adjustment with wheel off but as soon as tire is put on and lowered to ground it moves right back to negative camber. Will let you know what I find when I have the time to get back out to garage and work on it again. Thank again

• Like 1

In the shop manual for my '51 Buick, it mentions that you should get the camber and caster as close as possible to spec with the adjustments possible, but that the most important adjustment is toe-in, which needs to be spot on.  Bad toe-in can cause tire wear much faster that bad camber.