1929 Chrysler 65 Radiator--correct core material?

Gasket

Hi All,

What is the correct core material for 1929 Chrysler series 65?

I'm guessing not honeycomb.

Auburn / diamond? (Are they the same thing?)

What I have now--that needs recored--is a crude job done in v-cell, which I doubt is original.

Thanks for any guidance.

Yours, Jack 'Gasket'

2074-3.jpg

Hi

Over the years I have owned/restored three Chryslers - one 65 sedan a 66 roadster and a 66 tourer( my current project, do not have the first two now) 

All had honey comb radiators. Looking in my 66 Instruction book under cooling system it states the following- "The radiator is of the cellular type".

Here is a factory photo of the front of a 66 hopefully you can see it is a honeycomb type. I would be very confident that the 65 would be the same. 

Sorry I dont have any photos of a 65 but I am pretty sure, well at least here in Australia model 65 and 66 cars came originally with honeycomb radiators.

scan00010.thumb.jpg.f8b6986cae8c9858437b9f504ea76e91.jpg

Hope this helps      cheers Mark

Honeycomb is the answer. I believe the exact cell size is hard to get, but more than one European vendor had a visually similar pattern where each cell is 2 mm shorter than the original. I have used that pattern for two Series 65 radiators and believe it would pass as original even on Pebble Beach. This is a radiator before with original pattern:

1706807488_CR0101BCRgjennomgangavtilstand(3).thumb.jpg.42ea163b3fb0ae981672b8e111f2ce5b.jpg

Hi 1930 Kram66 and Narve N,

Thanks for the great pictures--just what I needed; though, shouldn't honeycomb have 6-sides? 

(Looks like diamond shape to me(?))

Thanks again.

Yours,

Jack

Hi Narve,

You're not wrong. From browsing the internet, it appears that the term, 'honeycomb', is used somewhat generically. For example, one manufacturer, Brassworks, thebrassworks.net, in their descriptions of hex-honeycomb, v-cell, and diamond say that "They are commonly referred to as "honeycomb cores" but the patterns are varied."

Thanks again, Jack

• 2 weeks later...

Gasket, this will sound simple.  I spent quite a bit of time chasing around with my 1928 Model 72 radiator after the first place I went to said the core was bad and needed replacing.  Well, that was another adventure finding out that this "Auburn" type core is only duplicated in Europe and to re-core the radiator would cost Thou$ands.  As a last resort an old time radiator shop was willing to try a repair with "stop leak" and it worked.  I'm sure my radiator is not as good as new but for the driving I will be doing it should suffice.