Heater Core in 66 A-Body??

I feel like I am missing one more bolt from under the hood... If there is one more, I can't see it.

Do I have to remove the passenger side fender? Help!

Its a '66 Skylark Non AC car confused.gif

These are a royal pain in the ---. Anyway if your 66 is like my 65 you have a total of 6 nuts that need to come off. No you can't bend the housing to get around taking off the one that is buried by the inner fender. I took mine off but it took forever to get a wrench and loosen this one enough to get it off. Also I have small hands which help. Found it by feel you can't see the little bugger!!!

I'm registered now...

anyways... I did get to the bolt--not nut--behind the fender/inner fender... I didn't even drop it! But it still wont come off. I have looked inside the car, and as far in between the fender/inner fender as possible... what gives?

I NEED HEAT SO I CAN DRIVE JOAN AGAIN!!!

i am currently in the middle of replacing the core in my 67. the chiltons manual recommends pulling the fender skirt. seems easy enough. so, like any good montana hillbilly, i simply cut the heater cover on the firewall with a dremmel. after all the purests get done with their palpatations, i will continue...... alrighty then. once i got the cover out of the way and unhooked the cables from the heater box inside the passenger side of the car it was a piece of cake. now, if i don't pop the solder on the new core reinstalling it and i can patch the cut on the cover so it don't look like frankinstein's forehead i'll be back in business. i think duct tape is in order.[wa hoo!]

The 1966 Buick Chassis Service Manual says to remove the fender.

However, there is also a trick shown where a 3/4 hole saw opening is made at an exact spot in the wheel well to allow wrench access from underneath.

There have been several posts about this, and different advice given.

When I replaced my heater core, I just removed the fender. No big deal.

Roberta,on the BCA forum is a guy unable to remove his heater core on a 66.I wanted to tell him I had the same problem with my 67.There were two assembly pressed nuts under the plenum.They were put there on the prod line to hold the core in place.you have to reach under it with an end wrench to get them off.For some reason I could not make a reply to him.Maybe you could let him know. Thanks,Norb