Stromburg Model WW Carburetor Specific ID

hursst

Hello,

I saved a Stromburg Model WW from the junkyard recycle pile (see photo).  I can clearly see "Stromburg WW" and the Bendix logo near all the patent numbers, but I can't fine the specific  part number that will tell me what it fits.  I did some preliminary research, and I think there may have been a tag attached (it is missing) with it, but I see no other numbers on the carb.

Does anyone know what car(s) this fits and/or can someone tell me where the part number may be, if there is one?  Thanks!

-Chris

100_7251.JPG

From my website thecarburetorshop.com:

Jon

Stromberg

The following applies to Stromberg-USA carburetors, and does not apply to Stromberg carburetors produced elsewhere:

Stromberg began stamping a ‘code’ number on virtually all O.E. (original equipment) carburetors beginning in 1935 up through the end of production in 1974. Most of the carburetors produced in the late 1930’s were stamped on the throttle body. Others were stamped on the airhorn. After 1940 this trend was reversed, and most carburetors were stamped on the top surface of the airhorn along one of the edges. Replacement carburetors produced during this period were generally identified by tag only (although a few replacements were stamped). The stamped ‘code’ is in the format ‘ccc-nnne’ where ccc is a one, two, or three digit code representing the company for which the carburetor was produced (ie 2=Ford, 4=Chrysler, 7=Buick, etc.); nnn is a one, two, or three digit number representing the next sequential number of carburetor sold to the company in ‘ccc’; and e is a letter (if present) representing the engineering change status of the carburetor. An example would be 7-69A which is decoded as 7 (Buick); 69 (the sixty-ninth type of carburetor sold to Buick – this one fits a 40 series in 1949); and ‘A’ meaning one engineering change to the original specifications. A second change would be 7-69B. Stromberg used both rectangular (held in place by a screw) and round (riveted in place) tags during this period, on those units which were tagged.

Stromberg carburetors produced prior to 1935 can easily be identified as to type, as it is cast onto the carburetor; however complete identification is impossible unless one has prior knowledge of the carburetor being identified; and can be quite difficult and time consuming for even someone with the original prints.

I greatly appreciate the response, but this is not helpful.  I need to find out where the code number may be on the carb, other than the "WW."  If it may have been just a tag that was affixed to the carb, then it is missing from it, so I won't be able to tell, unless someone else can identify the specific model of the carb.  Thanks.

Thanks again, yes I read this, but again, this is too vague.  Specifically where on the airhorn?  I see no numbers anywhere on mine, but I could be overlooking it, or there may be no number at all, which is most likely the case.  If I know exactly where to look, I can confirm whether or not have have a number on mine or not.  I do appreciate the effort to assist.

2 hours ago, hursst said:

Thanks again, yes I read this, but again, this is too vague.  Specifically where on the airhorn?  I see no numbers anywhere on mine, but I could be overlooking it, or there may be no number at all, which is most likely the case.  If I know exactly where to look, I can confirm whether or not have have a number on mine or not.  I do appreciate the effort to assist.

It varies with production years. Some are on top of the float bowl , hard to miss.

Some are on the edge of the air horn cover , usually passenger side.

If the area is clean you will find it , unless it's the one made on Monday after a holiday and it was not stamped.

Carb and Roy, thank you very much for your posts.  The "top of the float bowl" was the tip I needed.  Had to use a magnifying glass, but was able to find it with a little more effort; numbers are there.  It is a 3-164.

There is one on ebay that says it is for a 1958 Dodge truck.  Another ad says 1956-1959 Dodge Coronet D66, 67, 70, 71, 72 LD2
1956-1959 Dodge D-63-1 Red Ram
1956-1959 Dodge D-62-2-3 Super Red Ram

Would anyone know if there are other applications?  Thanks again!

Edited by hursst (see edit history)

Dodge 8 cyl    
 1956 - 59    D-63-1 RED RAM, D-63-2-3 SUPER   RED RAM, D-66, D-67-1, D-70, D-71,   D-72, LD2-L CORONET    3-135, A, B, 3-136, A, B, 3-137, A,   B, 3-138, A, B, C, D, 3-139, A, B,   C, D, 3-140, A, B, C, D, 3-149, A,   B, 3-150, A, B, C, 3-163, 3-164, 3-  181, 3-182, 3-183, A, B 

pkhammer, thanks for the info, but not sure how to read this.  It shows a large amount of other carb numbers besides just 3-164.  Does 3-164 have a specific application, or will 3-164 and all the other model numbers listed fit all the 1956-59 applications listed?  Not sure if you know either, you may just be passing on what you have.  

-Chris

Jon,

Fantastic!  That answers all the questions, 1958 325 LD2-L and Coronet.  Greatly appreciate all the help, hope I can return the favor with other folks' questions in the future.  I also know where to go when I need carburetor rebuilds now, too.

Chris