New 1950 Buick Special owner having power issues

Dapper

@Dapper,  The relay we are talking about is the one at the lower end of your picture. It is the one with the three contact fingers. I can not tell for sure, but I think the upper copper contact appears to be stuck (the one closest to the middle relay). It is hard to tell, but in the picture that contact appears to be slightly lower than the others, like it is stuck.  You can do a simple test with your meter to confirm the stuck contacts. I think your meter has a beeper function on the lower end of the dial. To confirm set the dial and touch the probes together. When they beep you have the right setting. Now, with the negative battery cable disconnected AND the wires disconnected from the Bat terminal of the regulator, touch the probes as follows: one probe (either one) to the regulator bat terminal and with that one touching, gently touch the other probe to the rear of the copper contact assembly. Do not press down very hard. If the meter "Beeps" the contacts are stuck. If so, you will need to GENTLY try to "unstick" them. I would just gently pick under the copper with a fingernail. You do NOT want to bend the copper contact finger. Repeat the test and confirm there is no "Beep". If there is no beep you can keep the probes touching and gently press down on the contacts with a finger to confirm you get a beep. If this all checks out proceed to cleaning the contacts as I mentioned in an earlier post and then reconnect the wires to the Bat terminal. Now test for sparks when you touch the negative battery cable to the battery post. If no sparks connect the negative cable and start the motor, rev slightly and then turn off the motor. Disconnect the negative cable and repeat the spark test. If no sparks I would start the motor, stop the motor and spark test several times to confirm the contacts do not stick again. If all is good disconnect the negative cable one more time and replace the cover on the regulator (do not forget the gasket).  Reconnect the negative cable, close the hood, start the car, smile and go for a drive!!!!!  Let us know what you find!

Edited by 37_Roadmaster_C (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks to everyone who helped. I ended up replacing the voltage regulator and we went for a long drive today. When I got back I tested the voltage with the car running and it sat at 6.34 volts. Had my wife rev and it agent up to 6.56. So happy to be driving her!! Thanks again to everyone! Hers a shot of our Lily. 

D1BB881D-E6B5-4D27-BD3A-241B190F7956.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1