1929 Plymouth Model U Coupe

Ray Whiting

Hi 

I am restoring a 1929 Plymouth Model U Coupe. There was no carburettor or manifold with the engine so I am looking for both parts.

However I was told by one source ( and this is confirmed on on internet site ) that the carb I require is a tillotson FR-1.

A reputable carb restorer/supplier in the states says the original cars had a Carter RT-08 but recommends fitting a Carter BB1 as fitted to 

Later models. Can anyone confirm what is the correct original fitting.

See this is your first post, so welcome!

I have Tillotson documentation (domestic) from 1916~1980's. There is no mention of a model FR-1. I do not have Tillotson export documentation.

Tillotson did offer a type JR-1 universal replacement.

Tillotson did offer a type F-1B as a replacement for the Zenith used on both the Ford model A and model B vehicles. The Ford engines were 200 CID (see comments under Carter type BB-1). I have no documentation on any other Tillotson types beginning with an "F".

In the for what its worth category, Tillotson produced a number of different universal replacement carburetors. The JR series came as JR-1, JR-2......JR-6. There was also a UR series, and a YR series. ALL of the Tillotsons with a two letter type (i.e. JR) the "R" meant replacement. There were also some original equipment type R with no prefix letter (example R-2A).

According to Carter documentation:

1929 Plymouth model U (domestic) - Carter type RT-08 identification number 130s

1929 Plymouth model Q (export L.H.D.) - Carter type DRT-08 identification number 131s

1929 Plymouth model Q (export R.H.D.) - Carter type DRT-08 identification number 132s

1930 Plymouth model U (export L.H.D.) - Carter type DRT-08 identification number 157s

1930 Plymouth model U (export R.H.D.) - Carter type DRT-08 identification number 158s

Concerning the Carter type BB-1:

The Plymouth U engine was 175 CID.

The Plymouth PB engine using the BB-1 was 196 CID.

The Carter type BB-1 identification 4A2 was early production on the PB, and replaced in mid-year by the 4A3 (upgrade). Each is calibrated specifically for the 196 CID engine, and would be lean on the main metering circuit for a 175 CID engine. Both are quite scarce, and fairly expensive. Either could probably be modified by an expert to be calibrated for the 175 CID engine.

If one is wanting to use a BB-1, probably a better choice would be the Carter BB-1 identification number 245s. This was a universal replacement carburetor, and came with an external adjustable main metering jet. All three (4A2, 4A3, and 245s) have an adjustable idle, so idle calibration would not be an issue.

EDIT: here is a link to the Plymouth listings on my website:

Plymouth carburetor listings

Jon.

Edited by carbking (see edit history)
  • Like 3

Ray - I reread your post, and notice that you are also looking for an intake.

Before looking for the PB intake, you should check with other U and PB owners to determine if it will fit. I do not know, nor do I have documentation to check.

If no one volunteers the answer, we normally suggest to look at the intake-to-head gasket for each. If the gasket is the same, the intake will probably fit.

Jon.

Ray, 

Welcome to the forum, and good luck with your restoration! 

I know what it's like to get lots of different recommendations from lots of different folks with vintage automotive issues...and then see even different information online. Which one are you supposed to believe?? So this post is merely intended to reassure you that most all of us on the AACA forum have come to trust the carburetor expertise of Jon "Carbking." I used to set up a vendor booth at Hershey directly across the aisle from Jon, and was constantly impressed with his deep knowledge of these vintage carburetors, etc. 

As of today, if I got differing advice from different sources about a vintage carburetor issue, I would trust Jon's advice over all the rest, without question. Just my two cents, based on several years of experience...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Peter Gariepy changed the title to 1929 Plymouth Model U Coupe