‘37 Coupe Express Artillery or Disc Wheels

drrotor

I’m restoring a ‘37 Coupe Express, and I’m in need of wheels. Since the truck has a side-mount spare, I need 5. I have 4 of the standard disc wheels (rusty but possibly saveable), and I have 4 artillery wheels, which I prefer. Problem is, I actually have 2 pairs of artillery wheels, and I don’t believe either pair is correct. Now I’m not a complete Slave to Originality, but I would at least like all 5 to match, and have matching hub caps. All mine are 16” wheels, which is good... 

Here are photos of the 2 styles I have. I need 3 more of either style, assuming I can find hubcaps that fit them. 
Now I know that Studebaker International stocks hubcaps for the stock disc wheels if I end up having to go that way. But maybe some of my artillery wheels are from a ‘35? A ‘36? Or?

Can anyone help me identify them? Or provide additional matching wheels?

F51F35CB-47A2-4E9B-A64A-9F0B6C436C39.jpeg

0212B7D7-D9A5-4746-B2DE-978021653F2C.jpeg

Here is a photo of an original ‘35 Commander wheel with original stripes. It is a 16 inch wheel. I think that Studebaker went to wheels with hubcap clips in the wheels in ‘36, rather than hubcap clips in the hubcaps themselves.

The wheel in the photo posted by albatrossca looks like Studebaker, and earlier than ‘35.  I’d be looking at the size of the bolt holes (1/2” for Dictator and 9/16 for Commander and President), bolt pattern (5 x 5 for Dictator and 5 x 5 1/2 for Commander and President).  I’m not sure when Studebaker went from 17” wheels to 16’s, but I’m sure that info is available. I’ll see if I can find it tomorrow

Don—- The wheels in your first post above would use hubcaps that don’t look anything like the 37’s you need. Neither of those wheels are ‘37’s.

Tom

3C001525-9AD3-483D-B290-FB46EBAC147C.jpeg

9 minutes ago, 37S2de said:

Here is a photo of an original ‘35 Commander wheel with original stripes. It is a 16 inch wheel. I think that Studebaker went to wheels with hubcap clips in the wheels in ‘36, rather than hubcap clips in the hubcaps themselves.

The wheel in the photo posted by albatrossca looks like Studebaker, and earlier than ‘35.  I’d be looking at the size of the bolt holes (1/2” for Dictator and 9/16 for Commander and President), bolt pattern (5 x 5 for Dictator and 5 x 5 1/2 for Commander and President).  I’m not sure when Studebaker went from 17” wheels to 16’s, but I’m sure that info is available. I’ll see if I can find it tomorrow

Don—- The wheels in your first post above would use hubcaps that don’t look anything like the 37’s you need. Neither of those wheels are ‘37’s.

Tom

3C001525-9AD3-483D-B290-FB46EBAC147C.jpeg

Thanks!

That would have to make the 2 extras I have Commander or President. My parts book starts in 34. If I recall there would have only been a few years with Artillery wheels prior to 34. do you know exactly what year would be the first for artillery wheels? I'd like to know because these ones will be up for sale or barter for parts that I need. 

If your not 100% tied to originally one item you may consider is having wheel smith make a new set of 15” wheels for you.  It would be expensive but given the price difference between 15 and 16 inch tires, the fact that you would not need tubes and the fact that they can probably supply an adapter to use the standard 37 reproduction hub cap that Richard Quinn had reproduced.  When you factor all of those items the price may be very close and all of the components readily available. You might contact them for pricing.

The Coker and Summit rims are Vintiqes I believe and were cheaper when I checked but don’t offer a Sudebaker hub cap.   Wheel Smith says they will provide an adapter to accommodate the studebaker cap.  There is a slight difference in the diameter of the standard wheel hub cap which Richard Quinn has reproduced and and the hub cap for the 1937 Artillery wheel.  I think you can get an “blank” cap for the Vinitiqes and perhaps you could get a vinyl “Studebaker” script matching what was used on 1937 Studebaker caps.  Tires and wheels are $$$$ whichever way you go.

On 1/16/2021 at 8:52 PM, drrotor said:

As far as I know, the ‘37 C.E. Has 5x4.75 bolt pattern... that ‘35 wheel sure looks like 2 of mine... are you sure it’s 5x5? Were they changing bolt patterns from ‘35 to ‘36?

hmm I have some 41 wheels on mine right now, pretty sure it's 5 x 5... 

For proper measuring of bolt patterns, wheels with even numbers of bolt holes (4, 6, or 8), measure from center to center of opposite bolt holes.  For 5-lug wheels measure from the center of one hole to the far edge of an opposing hole.

’37 Coupe-Express and Dictator are 5 x 5, not 5 x 4.75.

Tom