Wanted Bower Bearing # 90

Printed Material, Memorabilia, Toys, Art, Clothing, etc.     No parts.  

Clearly this heading is NOT for parts.  Why not scroll down to the HUDSON section.  Lots of good guys there.

Or to help you here is the link.   https://forums.aaca.org/forum/61-hudson-essex-terraplane/

Another option is to measure your bearing OD, ID and thickness and go to an industrial bearing and seal supplier.  Don' start off by mentioning a 1933 car.  Just ask if they can match the bearing up.  Or else take the bearing with you but once again do not start the question with the car information.

I have been locating bearings or seals or even clutch discs this way for over 61 years and have always found what I was looking for.

Good Luck in your search

Tinindian's advice is good advice. Bearing stores typically charge much less for the same bearings than auto parts stores do. In the USA they have been under intense pressure for the last 15 years or so NOT to sell any bearings into the automotive trade, and any part numbers that are automotive only have been removed from their supply chain. It may come down to telling them what it is, but I wouldn't mention any cars right off the bat.

Chances are good that in 1933 it was some sort of standard industrial bearing, and if an interchangeable bearing is still made, this may be pretty easy. The person at the counter will measure it with a caliper.

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)

Sorry, I don't know how my wanted post ended up here, maybe phone/loading pages issues?

Anyway, I put the ad in the general parts wanted. Hopefully a  vendor of bearings will see it, I'm sure it's not a Hudson specific bearing so there is much more traffic in the general section. I've already placed an ad on  specific Hudson groups.

I tried all the local auto stores playing match up,but no luck. A few bearing only shops i have called have closed up because of the pandemic...

I have been buying Timken bearings on Amazon for the 1917 White just by measurement of id and od in metric measurements. Fast, easy, and cheap.

You didn't say where the bearing goes on your car; nor, as Ed mentioned, its type and size.  However, here is some info from the 1920's-1948 Hollander catalog about bearings.  Read the text, look at the diagram, and identify the position of your bearing.  Then look at the table to see the Timken number for that position.  With a Timken number, you might find the bearing.  Bower was bought by NTN many years ago, no current interchange tables for Bower.  If yours is a roller bearing using round balls, you may find a modern tapered roller bearing and cup to replace the original type.  Where you see two hyphenated numbers in the table, one is for the cup and one is for the cone for tapered roller bearings.  Usually, the T symbol means the i.d. of the cone is tapered to fit an axle shaft.  A good industrial bearing house can take a non-T bearing and grind it for a taper.  Try South Shore Bearing in Quincy, MA for these rare bearings.

1373426612_Hollanderbearingcatalog1920-48p1-top.thumb.png.3600818cce2d515c029848d1d37a007b.png

1707609731_Hollanderbearingcatalog1920-48p1-bot.thumb.png.d6ec99c5d69259f12ee59815179e0e20.png

2000874624_Hollanderbearings1933Terraplane.thumb.png.b4991a0d8879ab45accedf80f7b2c780.png

Edited by Gary_Ash (see edit history)

1 minute ago, sftamx1 said:

Thanks Gary, the bearing needed is in the steering box.

Steering box bearings are different than general industrial type bearings, and generally are not available. Most of those boxes also used bushings extensively, which is not a good idea either. Why do you need a bearing? Rust? Worn? Dents? Most often they can be saved if not rusty. You most likely going to need a good used box if what you have isn’t serviceable.

• Like 1